Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 08 Nov 16 at 07:03 AM

FC Halifax Town 2 Daggers 1

The Daggers fielded a unfamiliar line up for the Emirates FA Cup 1st round replay at FC Halifax Town as forward Oliver Hawkins started as a centre back, Tyriqye Hyde starting his first game for the first team in midfield and Paul Benson starting for the first time since getting injured.

FC Halifax Town had the better of the first 10 minutes with two disallowed goals, the first after just one minute and then forward Tom Denton had a header disallowed after a good cross from Kevin Roberts in the ninth minute. 

Halifax continued to have the better of the game and on 15 minutes Mark Cousins had to punch a dangerous cross clear before Denton was able to get a header on goal. 

Jordan Maguire-Drew picked up the first booking of the game in the 25th minute after a late challenge on defender Josh Macdonald. 

Two minutes later Halifax had another chance as Alex Simmons was denied at the front post from Mark Cousins, the Daggers went up the other end quickly and only a great last ditch challenge from defender Scott Garner stopped the Daggers from getting a shot on goal. 

The Daggers had their first shot on target in the game on the 30th minute as Corey Whitely had a shot from a tight angle on the right hand side pushed over the bar for a corner. 

The Daggers then had a goal disallowed themselves after Corey Whitely was penalised for offside as Paul Benson put the ball in the back of the net. 

A minute later Halifax took the lead after forward Tom Denton hit a half volley into the top right hand corner after a cross was deflected into his path.

There was a succession of two corners in the 42nd minute, and from the second corner Hawkins had a shot that flew just wide of the box, and there was no further action in the first half. 

Into the second half and the first chance was in the 55th minute when Jordan Maguire-Drew got the ball on the right hand side and beat two players but his shot flew just over the bar from outside the box.

The Daggers found themselves down to ten men in the 57th minute as Oliver Hawkins, who was playing in a centre back role, was shown a red card by the referee as he was the last man when he was judged to have made a foul. 

FC Halifax Town were given a penalty for the foul, but Mark Cousins made a good save down to his right hand side to keep the score at 1-0. 

In the 73rd minute Matt Kosylo, who had just came on for Halifax, had two shots on goal, the first being blocked and the second needing a good save from Mark Cousins

The Daggers got their equaliser in the 74th minute as the ball was played through to Corey Whitely and he placed the ball into the bottom corner. 

Matt Kosylo put a ball into the box and a header from Tom Denton was saved in the 76th minute and six minutes later Kosylo was involved again as he had a shot that required a low save from Mark Cousins.

Jordan Maguire-Drew had a chance in the 88th minute when he won the ball in the final third but his shot rose over the bar.

Two minutes later and Halifax got the winner as Matt Kosylo, who was a constant threat when he came on, had a shot from around 30 yards which flew past a few defenders and went into the bottom corner.

Halifax (4-4-1-1): Drench; Roberts, Hotte, Garner, Wilde; Macdonald, King, Lynch, Simmons (Kosylo 68); Sinnott (Hibbs 74); Denton
Subs: Nicholson, Peniket, Moyo, Barrow

Daggers (4-4-2): Cousins; Widdowson, Doe, Hawkins, Raymond; Whitely, Staunton, Guttridge, Hyde, Maguire-Drew (White 90); Benson
Subs: Justham, Mitchell, Brown, Gordon, Mongoy
Sent off: Hawkins 57

Attendance: 1,465 (including 51 Daggers fans)

Referee: Thomas Bramall

    Latest Match Reports