Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 05 Aug 16 at 07:58 AM

Eastleigh 0 Daggers 1

John Still made a couple of changes from last Tuesdays defeat at Torquay. Sam Ling made his first start for the Daggers as Fejiri Okenabirhie was named on the bench. 

Josh Staunton played another week in the central of the defence, due to captain, Scott Doe being suspended, after he received a red card at the match against Torquay.
The Daggers came very close to scoring within the first quarter of an hour. Maguire-Drew from right wing went for a cross-shot which unexpectedly bounced off the top of the cross bar.

The ball then found itself in the path of Widdowson, crossing the ball into the box for Hawkins, who then headed it down for Whitely, forcing Ryan Clarke to push it out for a corner, after a powerful volley.

20 minutes in and another crossbar was hit, David Pipe’s cross found Ryan Bird on his own inside the box beating Justham with a free header, but the Daggers goalie was saved by the woodwork.

With 32 minutes gone, Mikael Mandron found himself through on goal, But Justham made himself big and denied the forward to break the deadlock.

In a matter of minutes, Justham again produced another great save to keep it goalless, as Dawson tried curling the ball into the back of the net. 

Luke Coulson with a good run down the left wing found Jai Reason, the midfielder then with a clever pass slotted the ball past the Daggers defence finding Mandron, whose low and powerful shot was just off target. 

The Daggers came very close to going one up, after Maguire-Drew dribbled across the goal picking the right moment to shoot and came very close to beating the Eastleigh goal-stopper, but Clarke produced a good save.

Moments into the second half and Eastleigh came very close to scoring through Ryan Bird, but his shot went over from close range.

The Daggers again were seen defending another Eastleigh attack, it was Coulson’s cross which found Mandron in the back post, his first time shot was then caught comfortably by Justham.

Still made his first substitution of the game in the 66th minute, Okenabirhie came on for Ling, which meant that Raymond was pushed back to full back. 

73 minutes gone and Whitely gave the Daggers the lead, after he was played through by Matt Robinson and slotted it past Clarke.

With ten minutes of the match left, Eastleigh’s Reason had a chance just outside the box, however his effort glided over Justham’s goal, Jamie Cureton was then introduced into the game for the hosts. 

Whitely again very close to scoring a brace in the 87th minute, after he picked up the ball from a defensive slip, he took his chance after the goalkeeper was off his line, but the shot curled onto the right angle of the goal.

The Daggers’ next match will be against Southend United in the Essex Senior Cup on Tuesday 11th October.

DAGGERS XI: Justham; Widdowson, Robson, Robinson, Raymond, Ling (66’ Okenabirhie), Hawkins, Maguire-Drew, Whitely, Staunton, Howell (c)

UNUSED SUBS: Cousins, Donnellan, Hyde, Shepherd

ATTENDANCE: 2,209 (121 Daggers fans)

    Latest Match Reports