Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 05 Aug 16 at 07:57 AM

Bromley 1 Daggers 3

John Still opted to make no changes for the Daggers, a week after the team returned to the top of the league, beating newly promoted North Ferriby United, at home 2-0.

Craig Robson was named again on the bench despite him being fully fit after a thigh injury.

This then meant, Joe Widdowson remained at right-back and Frankie Raymond played on the left side of the defence, due to his recent good performances in the unfamiliar position. 

It was a quite start from both teams till the 10th minute, Andre Boucaud through on goal and went down inside the penalty box, however the referee played on. 

It only took a quarter of an hour for the Daggers to break the deadlock, Whitely showed great link up play with Hawkins and then slotted it past Alan Julian to register his first goal for the visitors. 

With 24 minutes gone, Bromley came very close to scoring the equaliser through Oluwatobi Sho-Silva, whose header flew over Elliot Justham’s goal. 

Fejiri Okenabirhie had a very good chance to score ten minutes before the half time whistle, his powerful shot inside the box turned out to be a tricky one for Julian, whose save nearly found its way into the path of Hawkins.  

A minute late later and captain Scott Doe produced a heroic block for the Daggers, sliding in to deny Alfie Pavey’s shot on target. 

The last action of the half saw Blair Turgott testing Justham from distance, but the dipping shot found its way over the cross bar.

Lively start to the second half, as five minutes in, Scott Doe conceded a corner after a through ball found the hosts scored the equaliser through Rob Swaine, 

The Daggers led again in the 53rd minute, it was after Hawkins was found alone running towards the Bromley goal and unselfishly passed the ball across goal to find Maguire-Drew curling it into the top corner.

Bromley’s goal scorer, Rob Swaine was then sent off after a second bookable offence on Okenabirhie on the lead up to the goal.

55 minutes into the game and the Daggers went on to extend their lead, a penalty was awarded after Maguire-Drew went down inside the box, Hawkins then stepped up and scored his fifth goal in three games.

Scott Doe had a couple of moments of magic in the 84th minute after denying Bromley twice from scoring. 

A minute later, Sho-Silva had a chance inside the Dagger box, but his shot ended up going high over the goal.

The Daggers were awarded a free kick just outside the Bromley area, in the dyeing embers of the match and Andre Boucaud clipped the cross-bar, as his shot took a deflection from the wall. 

It was an all-round great performance from the Daggers, especially in the second half where they took control of the game. They will now be focusing on next Saturday’s home fixture against Tranmere Rovers.

Daggers: Justham; Widdowson, Doe, Staunton, Raymond; Boucaud(Howell 93), Robinson; Maguire-Drew, Whitely, Okenabirhie; Hawkins

Subs: Robson, Assombalonga, Ling, Cousins

Bromley: Julian, Chorley, Swaine, Holland, Martin, Anderson, Prestedge, Turgott, Porter(Goldberg 76), Sho-Silva Pavey (Dymond 56)

Subs: Higgs, Johnson, Howe

Referee: Christopher O’Donell

    Latest Match Reports