Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 29 Sep 14 at 15:19 PM

Daggers 0 Leyton Orient 2

Daggers were comfortably beaten by League One Leyton Orient in the second round of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy at Victoria Road.

Jay Simpson scored in either half to send the east Londoners through with a 2-0 victory and consign Wayne Burnett’s team to another defeat at home.

The hosts made a strong start and won a corner inside the opening minute but it eventually came to nothing.

Matt Partridge, starting at left-back, went into the book after just three minutes when he hauled down Shaun Batt just outside the box.

And although the resulting free kick came to nothing, the O’s soon went ahead after just five minutes through Simpson.

Daggers gave the ball away in midfield and Batt threaded into Simpson’s path and he slotted past the returning Liam O’Brien in the Daggers goal for the opening goal.

Simpson continued to pose a threat and nearly doubled the lead three minutes later but smashed an effort against the post from 30-yards-out.

Billy Bingham was making his first appearance of the season and nearly embarrassed O’s Gary Woods in the 15th minute but his deep free kick was just tipped away for a corner.

The away side continued to show their class, though, and nearly doubled their lead when Darius Henderson’s diving header went inches wide following Simpson’s cut back.

Former Daggers midfielder Romain Vincelot was running the game in the middle of the park and he forced O’Brien into a save before Simpson headed against the post following Elliot Omozusi’s centre.

Henderson nearly converted the rebound from Simpson’s header but the hosts survived and end the half strongly.

Ashley Chambers raced down the left, beating several players before setting up Ade Yusuff, who was making his full debut, but his shot was deflected wide.

Yusuff headed the resulting corner kick over before Scott Doe flicked towards goal from another set piece but O’s skipper Nathan Clarke cleared off the line and it was 1-0 at the break.

Daggers started the second period strongly and nearly caught the League One outfit on the break when another full debutant Christian Doidge passed into Yusuff.

The young forward ran at O’s Nathan Clarke and sprinted past him but under pressure fired over the bar to disappoint the home faithful.

Chances were few and far between in the second half but when Simpson was afforded too much time inside the box, he made Daggers pay by smashing in his second.

Substitute Dean Cox crossed in and the ball fell perfectly for Simpson to fire into the roof of the net to make it 2-0.

The hosts tried to find a response but were restricted to long range shots and both Damian Batt and Labadie failed to find the target from position outside the box.

Burnett handed a debut to Frankie Raymond in the dying moments of the game and the full time whistle shortly followed to confirm Daggers exit from the competition.

Dagenham & Redbridge: O'Brien, Batt, Partridge, Doe, Saah, Chambers, Ogogo (Raymond), Labadie, Bingham (Porter), Doidge, Yusuff (Goldberg)
Unused Subs: Cousins, Gayle.
Attendance: 2,318 (982 away)

    Latest Match Reports