Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 20 Aug 14 at 15:38 PM

Tranmere Rovers 2 Daggers 3

Daggers brilliantly defeated Tranmere Rovers in a thrilling five-goal game at Prenton Park.

Jamie Cureton, Ashley Hemmings and Billy Bingham scored excellent goals to ensure Wayne Burnett’s team left Merseyside with three points.

Liam O’Brien made his first start since October 7, whilst captain Abu Ogogo remained out with a hamstring injury.

There was a place on the bench for young goalkeeper Lewis Moore, who graduated from Swansea City’s academy and is with the club on non-contract basis.

Apart from Hemmings deflected effort wide in the sixth minute there was little to report for either side.

Billy Bingham had a chance to add another free-kick goal to his list in the 18th minute, but he fired way over the bar this time and failed to replicate his heroics from Tuesday night.

Burnett’s team had looked more confident and the better team throughout, despite testing Owain Fon Williams in the Tranmere goal.

In the 29th minute Luke Howell should have done when Damian Batt found him inside the area. The midfielder could only curl wide of the goal, though.

Howell was having an excellent game, though, and linked up brilliant with Jamie Cureton afterwards. The experienced forward surprisingly dragged his shot wide when well placed.

The pressure from Daggers kept on coming and they had the ball in the net six minutes before the break, but Cureton’s effort was ruled out for offside.

A minute later and he did have his goal after Andre Boucaud’s long clearance went over the heads of the Rovers defence.

Cureton raced onto the loose ball and lobbed into the net to make it 1-0, but it didn’t stay that way for long.

Danny Gardner soon levelled the scores as Batt allowed him too much space and he cut inside before lashing past O’Brien.

Daggers had one more opportunity before the break, though, when Shamir Fenelon got down the byline.

His centre found Cureton, but Josh Thompson blocked his goalbound hot and it remained 1-1 at the break.

The visitors started the second period strongly and soon went back ahead thanks to Hemmings.

The winger ran past Danny Holmes before finding the corner with a stunning strike with the outside of his foot.

Three minutes later, in the 54th minute, things got even better for Daggers when Bingham controlled a poor clearance and smashed past Fon Williams from range.

Tranmere pushed to get back in the game, but only when Max Power scored three minutes from time did they briefly threaten to get back on level terms.

Janoi Donacien missed an excellent chance deep into injury time, but had he scored it would have been harsh on Daggers.

Fortunately he missed and they earned another crucial three points to move them up to 16th in the table.

Dagenham and Redbridge: O'Brien, Batt, Obileye, Doe, Widdowson, Howell, Bingham, Boucaud (Labadie 87), Hemmings, Cureton (Partridge 89), Fenelon (Jakubiak 67).
Dagenham and Redbridge unused subs: Moore, Carr, Gayle, Jones.

    Latest Match Reports