Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 20 Aug 14 at 15:38 PM

Daggers 2 Hartlepool 0

A helping hand from Hartlepool’s Scott Harrison and Billy Bingham earned Daggers all three points at Victoria Road against the Monkey Hangers.

Wayne Burnett’s team needed a victory and they put in a solid performance to take all three points and move up to 40 points.
Abu Ogogo suffered an injury in the warm-up and was replaced in the starting line-up by Damian Batt. That changed seemed to effect the hosts as well.
It was Hartlepool who started better and they won numerous corners during the opening quarter of an hour, but fortunately couldn’t make the most of them.
Burnett’s team threatened briefly in the opening exchanges with new signing Shamir Fenelon looking lively, but they weren’t under pressure.
Mark Cousins was bundled into the post with 21 minutes gone from a corner and the Daggers number one was unable to continue therefore Liam O’Brien was brought on to replace him.
Once play was resumed following the substitution the home side took the lead following an excellent ball by Ashley Hemmings.
Fenelon passed out to the attacker, who was celebrating his 24th birthday, and he delivered a cross that Harrison sliced past Scott Flinders and into the Hartlepool net.
Chances were few and far between after the opening goal and the game became incredibly scrappy.
However Daggers could have doubled their advantage just before half time when Andre Boucaud’s corner found Hemmings at the back post.
But the wide mans header smashed against the crossbar and Fenelon could fire in the rebound.
Jamie Cureton had an early shot at the start of the second half, but he couldn’t test Flinders and Hartlepool continued to push for an equalising goal.
They never showed the required quality, though, and in the 66th minute Daggers were able to double their lead.
Fenelon won a free kick and Bingham stepped up and curled it brilliantly into the top corner to settle any nerves.
Hartlepool tried to find a response and substitute Marlon Harewood threatened on a few occasions, but Daggers were determined not to have any lapses of concentration like they did against Burton Albion and Mansfield Town.
Alex Jakubiak was introduced 14 minutes before full time and nearly made it 3-0 following an impressive run. However he couldn’t apply the finishing touches.
In the end Hartlepool, despite enjoying lots of possession, never looked like scoring and Daggers earned an important win.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Cousins (O’Brien 21), Batt, Doe, Obileye, Widdowson, Howell, Bingham (Carr 90), Boucaud, Hemmings, Fenelon (Jakubiak 76), Cureton.
Unused substitutes: Saah, Labadie, Gayle, Jones.

Hartlepool United: Flinders, Austin, Franks (J Jones 61), Compton, Featherstone (Walker 84), Duckworth, Smith (Harewood 61), Harrison, Mirfin, Tshibola, Bird.
Unused substitutes: Maxted, Richards, D Jones, Morgan.
Attendance: 1,791 (123 Hartlepool United supporters)

    Latest Match Reports