Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 20 Aug 14 at 15:38 PM

Mansfield 2 Daggers 1

Daggers lost back-to-back games for the first time since December as they conceded seven minutes from time to lose against Mansfield Town.

It meant Jamie Cureton's 13th goal of the season, and the 250th league goal of his career, was scant consolation for Wayne Burnett's team.

The forward's smart finish had brought the visitors back level, but they couldn't build on that goal and fell to a defeat which sees them drop to 19th in the table.

Daggers made a bright start at a wet and cold One Call Stadium as Scott Doe tested Lenny Pidgeley inside the opening minute following Andre Boucaud's corner.

Fellow centre back Ayo Obileye had the next opportunity following Billy Bingham's low corner. However he scuffed his effort.

The game was scrappy with the pitch not in the best condition and the most favourable opportunities were coming from set pieces.

When Ashley Hemmings was fouled outside the Mansfield box midway through the half Bingham, Boucaud and Ogogo all eyed up the free kick.

The Trinidid and Tobago international took charge and although his shot was poor it did appear to hit the hand of Ricky Ravenhill, but referee Brendan Malone kept his whistle away from his mouth.

Daggers continued to look the more threatening, but were struggling to create much and frustration was getting the better of both teams.

Cureton and Ravenhill had a coming together in the 38th minute, which resulted in Bingham and Vadaine Oliver squaring up as well.

Nothing came from the incident, but as the half drew to a close both teams had chances to take the lead

First Alex Jakubiak should have fired past Pidgeley when Luke Howell and Abu Ogogo combined on the right to release the full-back into the box.

Daggers skipper cut back for Jakubiak, but the Watford loan star smashed over the bar from eight-yards out.

Mansfield then could have taken the lead when Callum Elder's throw was flicked on by Ayo Obileye to Jack Thomas at the back post.

Fortunately for the visitors, Thomas volleyed over from close range and it was level at half time.

Daggers would have looked to start the second half strongly, but they conceded just 52 seconds into it.

Junior Brown picked up the ball in space and test Mark Cousins and the away keeper could only parry out to Reggie Lambe, who tapped in from a couple of yards out.

But Daggers level on the hour mark when Cureton showed his class after collecting Boucaud's pass.

The 39-year-old fired across Pidgeley and found the net, via the post, to score the 250th league goal of his career.

Unfortunately Burnett's team weren't able to build on that goal, but they could have been playing against 10 men had Brendan Malone seen Stags substitute Billy Kee two-footed challenge on Ogogo in

the 67th minute.

The incident was missed by the official and Mansfield nearly took the lead through Vadaine Oliver shortly afterwards, but Cousins brilliantly saved.

Daggers number one was forced into a couple more saves, whilst Doe and Ogogo both headed efforts clear before the host did get the winner seven minutes from time.

Another Elder throw caused problems and the ball was cleared and fell to Brown, who rifled past a number of bodies and into the net to score what would prove to be the winning goal.

Dagenham and Redbridge: Cousins, Ogogo, Doe, Obileye, Widdowson, Howell (Carr 86), Boucaud, Bingham, Hemmings, Cureton, Jakubiak (Fenelon 80).
Unused subs: O’Brien, Saah, Labadie, Raymond, Gayle.

ATTENDANCE: 2,546 (122 away).

    Latest Match Reports