Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 20 Aug 14 at 15:34 PM

Plymouth 3 Daggers 0

Plymouth Argyle proved to be too strong for Daggers at Home Park as Wayne Burnett’s men suffered a defeat in the last match before Christmas.

Reuben Reid scored the opener four minutes before half time before he added another after the break from the penalty spot. His namesake Bobby Reid had also found the net inbetween that time to make it a long trip home for the 65 away supporters who made the journey. Daggers handed a full debut to Joe Widdowson, with Ashley Hemmings missing out through injury. 

Burnett’s side made a superb start at Home Park with Joss Labadie shooting wide after two minutes.Argyle hit back, though, and Lee Cox dragged an effort harmlessly past Mark Cousins goal with four minutes gone as the match started frantically.Cureton lobbed a shot over the hosts Luke McCormick just past the quarter of an hour mark, but it dropped just wide. 

Once more the home side made an instant response as Lewis Alessandra brought the ball forward, shifted some space before firing straight at Cousins from the edge of the box.The Daggers goalie parried the effort and both teams continued to pass the ball around with decent authority, although clear cut chances were lacking. 

Just with half time approaching the deadlock was broken, and it unfortunately went to Plymouth.Reuben Reid profited from brilliant play by Alessandra and Bobby Reid four minutes before the break. Bobby Reid played a wonderful pass out to Alessandra, he got to the byline and crossed in and Reuben Reid applied the finishing touch from close range. 

That was how it stayed until the break, but five minutes after the interval and the Pilgrims doubled their advantage. 

Reuben Reid was played through on goal, but unselfishly squared to namesake Bobby Reid who tapped into the empty net to make it 2-0. 

Burnett made changes bringing on Alex Jakubiak and Rhys Murphy, but it failed to bring any significant goal action, although the former did have a shot inside the box deflected. 

With the game petering out, Plymouth were awarded the opportunity to add a third when referee Carl Berry pointed to the spot after Ayo Obileye made contact with Alessandra inside the box.It was soft, but Reuben Reid didn’t care and tucked away the spot-kick and Daggers couldn’t come close to reducing the arrears and fell to a three-goal defeat. 

They’ll look to bounce back on Boxing Day when they host Stevenage Borough at Victoria Road. 

Plymouth Argyle: McCormick, O’Connor, McNugh, Bentley, Cox, B.Reid (Harvey 84), Norburn, Kellett, Alessandra (Banton 82), R.Reid (Morgan 82). 

Unused substitutes: Bittner, Purrington, Harvey, Thomas, Allen. 

Dagenham & Redbridge: Cousins, Batt, Doe, Saah, Obileye, Widdowson, Bingham, Labadie (Murphy 54), Boucaud, Cureton (Agyemang 70), Yusuff (Jakubiak 54). 

Unused substitutes: O’Brien, Chambers, Howell, Partridge. 

Attendance: 7176 (65 Dagenham & Redbridge supporters).

    Latest Match Reports