Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 20 Aug 14 at 15:32 PM

Luton 3 Daggers 1

A perfect hat-trick from Luton Town’s Mark Cullen consigned Daggers to another defeat in League Two but only after another encouraging first half display.

The Victoria Road outfit matched John Still’s side for 43 minutes but then conceded twice in the final three minutes of the first period to throw away the good work put in beforehand.

And although Christian Doidge scored his first for the club late on, Wayne Burnett’s side fell to a eighth defeat of the league campaign.

Daggers started well at Kenilworth Road and Jamie Cureton looked bright from the onset and nearly gave the visitors the lead after 12 minutes but fired wide from Matt Partridge’s cutback.

Although John Still’s side won various set pieces, the away side dealt with most balls into the box with ease, with Mark Cousins’ handling looking excellent.

Former Dagger Luke Wilkinson did test Cousins with one header from an Adam Drury corner.

Partridge, lining up in central midfield, was impressing in an unfamiliar role and linked up nicely with Cureton on various occasions.

The former Reading ace also set up Ashley Chambers but his shot on the box got a deflection and Luton’s Mark Tyler was able to hold.

Cureton went close again shortly afterwards when he ran onto another Partridge cutback and although he tested Tyler this time, the Luton keeper was able to keep his strike out.

Andre Boucaud was disposed in midfield ten minutes before the break but Scott Doe come across to twice prevent Cullen getting an effort away at goal.

And then in the 43rd minute Daggers hard work beforehand went to waste as Adam Drury was given too much time near the byline and his cutback was headed in by Cullen.

Two minutes later and it got worst for Burnett’s side as a suicidal high line was broken by Cullen and he rounded Cousins and slotted in to make it 2-0.

The visitors started the second period strongly and Partridge got into a decent position but could only flick tamely towards goal.

Cureton nearly poked past Tyler shortly afterwards, following a poor back pass by Michael Harriman, but the Luton stopper deflected the forwards effort wide.

Doidge and George Porter were brought on by Burnett but the Hatters extended their lead in the 69th minute when Cullen smashed in his third.

Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu dribbled past a couple of opponents before teeing up Cullen, who fired in via the crossbar.

Daggers supporters were able to celebrate in the dying stretches of the game as Doidge headed in his first for the club.

Cureton had a header cleared off the line in injury time too but it was too little too late for Burnett’s side.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Cousins, Batt, Doe, Saah, Bingham, Cureton, Chambers (Hemmings 71), Green, Partridge, Yusuff (Porter 53), Boucaud (Doidge 63).
Unused substitutes: O’Brien, Connors, Gayle, Raymond.
Attendance: 7,746 (166 Daggers supporters)

    Latest Match Reports