Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 20 Aug 14 at 15:31 PM

Cheltenham 3 Dagenham and Redbridge 3

It could have been more for the visitors but for an 87th minute equaliser from Joe Hanks. In truth it was no less than the home side deserved given that they twice hit the crossbar and Daggers keeper Mark Cousins was the man of the match.
Mark Cousins was continually tested in the first half mainly by Millwall loanee John Marquis. His first effort was a header which the Daggers stopper somehow tipped around the post. Marquis again went close when he fired in a powerful shot which Cousins parried away from danger.

Despite the chances for the home side, it was the Daggers who came closest to opening the scoring three minutes before the interval. Ashley Chambers picked the ball up on the left and raced into the box before unleashing a shot which was blocked by Cheltenham keeper Trevor Carson who got up to save the follow-up from George Porter with his feet.

The home side gave away a free kick on the edge of the area as they struggled to clear the ball but Abu Ogogo’s shot saw Carson save comfortably.
Wayne Burnett brought his side out early for the second half with a long warm up session as Porter was replaced by former Cheltenham winger Ashley Hemmings.
Although the home side started the half brighter it was Hemmings who unlocked the Robins defence on the hour. He played a long pass through to Cureton who outpaced Matt Taylor and fired the ball past Carson into the net from the edge of the area for a stunning finish much to the delight of the travelling Essex faithful.
The Daggers defence was resilient as the Robins stepped up the pressure but couldn’t stop Zack Kotwica from rattling the crossbar after Wynter had outmuscled Nathan Green on the left with twelve minutes to go. Burnett introduced Jack Connors and Christian Doidge in the final stages; Connors to shore up the defence and Doidge to win some headers from the clearances up field.
However, three minutes from time Cheltenham finally found a way past Cousins. Jordan Wynter crashed a cross from the left against the crossbar and with Cousins still trying to get up, Hanks was able to curl in an effort which nestled in the bottom right corner for the equaliser.

Hanks then had a chance to win the game for the Robins with 30 seconds of added on time left when he won a free kick on the edge of the area. However his free kick was blocked by the Daggers wall and cleared to safety to give Burnett’s side a point.
Daggers: Cousins, Batt, Partridge, Saah, Green, Ogogo, Labadie, Chambers (Connors, 85), Howell, Porter (Hemmings, 51), Cureton (Doidge, 85).
Unused Subs: O'Brien, Doe, Goldberg, Yusuff.
Attendance: 2,597 (103 Daggers)

    Latest Match Reports