Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 20 Aug 14 at 15:19 PM

Burton Albion 2 Daggers 1

Billy Kee scored twice in the final six minutes to deny the Daggers victory at Burton Albion.

Jamie Cureton scored his first league goal for the club to give them a deserved first half lead, but Kee, often Daggers’ nemesis, levelled for the Brewers from the penalty spot, and then slotted home the winner with a minute remaining to leave the visitors frustrated.

It was almost the perfect away performance up until the final six minutes, but the wait for the first point continues.

Cureton, Jack Connors and Luke Howell all came back into the side after Tuesday’s Capital One Cup defeat to Brentford, and they started promisingly at the Pirelli Stadium.

Burton, fresh off the League Cup win over Championship side Wigan Athletic, were sluggish from the off, and Ashley Chambers should have done better when engineering some space on the edge of the box.

His tame effort was easily held by Ian McLaughlin, but the Daggers would go on to dominate the half.

Cureton looked sharp once again and a neat back heel almost teed up Chambers but the Brewers defence cleared their lines.

However they were counting the cost in the end as a neat flick on from Ashley Hemmings found Cureton and he slotted past an onrushing McLaughlin.

Compared to Tuesday night’s action-packed game, chances were at a premium and the hosts still looked sluggish.

Stuart Beavon went closest for Burton when directing Alex MacDonald’s cross over Liam O’Brien’s bar, but Daggers were good value for the lead.

However, the second half was a different kettle of fish as the hosts were vastly improved and Wayne Burnett’s side were on the back foot for the majority.

MacDonald forced O’Brien into a smart stop, and from the subsequent corner there was a goalmouth scramble, but Daggers goal would go on to live a charmed life.

Skipper Abu Ogogo shot wide as the visitors mounted a quick breakaway, however, the introduction of Kee,Matty Palmer  and Marcus Harness helped the hosts.

John Mousinho fired just over when another corner in wasn’t dealt with by the visitors and Beavon’s 25-yard effort was held by O’Brien.

The visitors were holding on and Howell cleared another goalmouth scramble off the line, before penalty appeals were waved away when he bundled over Kee just inside the box.

However, he didn’t survive a second penalty call six minutes from time as he was adjudged to have brought down Harness in the box.

Kee stepped up and slotted the penalty past O’Brien despite the ’keeper going the right way.

The resurgent hosts were on top and they made the visitors pay when Kee was afforded time and space to turn his man and shoot low part O’Brien and send the Daggers home disappointed.
Dagenham & Redbridge: O'Brien, Partridge, Doe, Saah, Connors, Ogogo (Goldberg 90), Howell, Boucaud (Labadie 72), Chambers, Cureton (Porter 72), Hemmings
Unused substitutes: Cousins, Green, Gayle, Raymond.
Attendance: 2,150.


    Latest Match Reports