Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 11 Nov 13 at 16:47 PM

Bristol City 3 Daggers 0

Two late goals from Bristol City helped them overcome Dagenham & Redbridge as Wayne Burnett’s side fell at the first hurdle in the FA Cup.

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas caused the Daggers problems all game and a deflected opener put them in front after 35 minutes.

But only two goals in the latter stages, one for Emmanuel-Thomas and the other from substitute Marvin Elliott, saw off the Daggers, who were unable to cause much of an attacking threat in the second period.

Manager Wayne Burnett opted to stick with the side which lost out 2-1 at Hartlepool United.

Rhys Murphy wasted the game’s first real chance with eight minutes on the clock when finding some room on the edge of the box but his shot had no real power and goalkeeper Elliot Parish easily gathered.

Daggers had to spend periods of the game on the back foot as expected but the closest the hosts had come to breaking the deadlock was when Emmanuel-Thomas drifted in off the right wing and shot just wide.

The visitors then went on to enjoy a spell on the front foot and Luke Howell went close twice in a matter of minutes.

He firstly got a toe poke on a Zavon Hines delivery which wrong footed Parish and the Robins had Aden Flint to thank for his last ditch clearance off the line.

But just a minute later Parish had to be on his guard as a ball in from Abu Ogogo found Howell in the box but the home goalkeeper just got down in time to gather.

However, 10 minutes before the break the hosts took a fortuitous lead when Emmanuel-Thomas had room on the edge of the box and his effort took a wicked deflection off
a diving Gavin Hoyte and past Chris Lewington, who had already dived the other way.

Emmanuel-Thomas continued to be the main outlet for the League One hosts and after a fine bit of play to get past Jack Connors his goalbound effort was hacked off the line by Hoyte.

Daggers spent much of the early stages of the second half defending and Flint should have increased Bristol City’s lead but fired a near post header wide after a ball in from Scott Wagstaff.

Lewington had to be alert to deny another Emmanuel-Thomas effort  while Billy Bingham got back to make a last ditch tackle to deny Wagstaff a shot

Burnett made a double sub to try and ignite the visitors into life with Afolabi Obafemi and Chris Dickson coming on but Bristol City still enjoyed all the chances as Emmanuel-Thomas drilled an effort wide from 30 yards out.

Time was ticking away and though the Daggers looked reasonably content to deal with what the hosts threw at them, they were unable to mount much pressure up the other end.

However, the hosts made sure of their spot in the second round with five minutes remaining when former Dagger Marlon Pack got to the byline and his ball in fell to substitute Elliott who thumped the ball home from close range.

And they almost made it three in the final minute when sub Wes Burns fired wide with his first touch.

But the hosts did add the third in the fifth minute of stoppage time when Emmanuel-Thomas drilled an effort low across goal past Lewington

Dagenham & Redbridge: Lewington, Connors, Saah, Doe (Wilkinson 80), Hoyte, Bingham, Howell (Dickson 65), Ogogo, Hines, Murphy, Elito (Obafemi 65)

Unused substitutes: Seabright, Ilesanmi, Scott, Shields.

Attendance: 5,313 (250 away)

    Latest Match Reports