Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 07 Aug 13 at 08:42 AM

Accrington 1 Daggers 2

Daggers make it back-to-back 2-1 wins as second half goals from Zavon Hines and Rhys Murphy pick up all three points at Accrington Stanley
Hines and Murphy netted in quick succession in the second half before a final nervy few moments followed after James Gray poked home on 90 minutes.

Manager Wayne Burnett was forced to make one change to the side which won 2-1 over Bury last weekend, with Luke Wilkinson coming in for the unavailable Scott Doe.

And it was the visitors who made a promising start as Rhys Murphy’s fine throughball found Zavon Hines down the right, but his effort was met with a fine save by Marcus Bettinelli in the Accrington goal.Murphy then reacted quickly from the corner as he directed Billy Bingham’s ball in goalwards, though the home defence managed to block the effort.

However, Stanley came the closest to breaking the deadlock when Peter Murphy met Lee Naylor’s inswinging corner but Jack Connors superbly glanced the effort on to the post.
The game didn’t stay at that frenetic pace though and after a lull it did end on a positive for the Daggers as Murphy flicked a Hines free-kick goalwards but Bettinelli dealt with it comfortably.

Accrington turned the tables on the visitors early in the second half as they started on top.

The home faithful thought Seamus McCartan had headed them into the lead after a corner found its way to him, but it only found the side netting.

However with two great examples of counter attacking football the Daggers strolled into a 2-0 lead. The first came after 56 minutes when centre half Brian Saah’s clearance found Murphy, who in turn played a lovely ball through for Hines who slotted past Bettinelli with the aid of a deflection of the keeper’s leg.And five minutes later it was Murphy’s turn to find the net as from another counter attack, Hines played the striker in and he did the rest as Burnett’s side doubled their lead.

It looked like the Daggers would be making it successive 2-0 wins at the Crown Ground following the 2-0 win here last season, but for the second week in succession they made hard work of getting over the line.A speculative effort from distance by Will Hatfield was spilt by Chris Lewington and substitute James Gray tapped in the rebound.

There was an anxious finale but the Daggers held on despite the hosts pumping balls into the box.
Dagenham & Redbridge: Lewington, Connors (Ilesanmi 76), Wilkinson, Saah, Hoyte, Bingham, Ogogo, Howell, Hines, Murphy (Dickson 86), Obafemi (Elito 78)
Unused substitutes: Saunders, Gayle, Woodall, Seabright.

Attendance: 1,751 (82 Daggers fans)


    Latest Match Reports