Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 06:00 AM

Daggers 0 Accrington 0

Dagenham & Redbridge extended their unbeaten run to seven matches, although, are still yet to register a home victory since New Year’s Day.

A below-par performance from the Daggers meant they never looked likely to take all three points and the away team can feel unfortunate to head back to the North-West with only a draw.

Accrington Stanley, and particularly James Gray, always looked dangerous and will scratching their heads as to how they didn’t breach the home team’s defence.

The result also means the hosts have drawn five in their current unbeaten run.

In a first half, where lots of endeavour was on display but little clear openings, the defences were largely on top.

Though, the first chance came after just 75 seconds when Marcus Bettinelli in the Accrington Stanley net spilled a tame Ashley Chambers effort.

However, there were no home players following up the loose ball and the visitors cleared the danger to spare their Fulham loanee’s blushes.

Stanley had penalty appeals turned down by Referee Mr Haywood on the 7th minute, as Gray went down under a challenge from Gavin Hoyte in their first significant attack.

Four minutes later, Adam Buxton went close for the away side, the left-back drifted inside and saw his deflected strike from the edge of the penalty area go narrowly over the crossbar.

The visitors had the better of the clear-cut opportunities in a pretty even half and Nicky Hunt played through Gray, he was denied by a good block from Daggers ‘keeper Chris Lewington at his near post on 14 minutes.

Two minutes later, Luke Norris ghosted through midfield at the other end and Bettinelli palmed Norris’s 20-yard shot wide. Most of the openings were from long-range and Medy Elito was the next to go close from distance on 25 minutes.

The away goalkeeper got down low to tip the winger’s effort around the post. In the final moments of the first half, Accrington Stanley dominated.

After a lot of pressure, the ball broke to Adam Buxton, who thought he had broken the deadlock with his in-swinging cross. This was until Lewington dived to his left and produced a remarkable save to tip the ball onto the crossbar.

Accrington Stanley had shaded the first period and began to dictate even more after the restart. The away side should have taken the lead on the 52nd minute, although, Lewington rushed from his line to deny the lively Gray. The loose ball

fell to Kayode Odejayi, who saw his shot cleared, before Gavin Hoyte cleared the second follow-up attempt off the line.

The hosts just about managed to survive the barrage of chances on their goal, but only just.

Ten minutes later, Gray flashed in a dangerous cross from the left flank, which no Stanley player could contact with.

By now, the Daggers were under a lot of pressure and Gray again went close, this time he muscled defender Scott Doe off the ball, only to be denied the goal his performance had deserved by Lewington’s legs.

The home team went agonisingly close to grabbing a late winner with four minutes left. Substitute Sean Shields crossed beautifully for fellow substitute Chris Dickson, who saw his header fall inches wide.

In the final seconds of normal time, the Daggers goalkeeper had to be at his best to tip over a powerful Lee Molyneux drive. During the final seconds there were nervy moments for both teams, however, the match finished goalless.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Lewington, Hoyte, Saah, Doe, Ilesanmi, Bingham (Howell 70), Ogogo, Chambers (Dickson 77), Elito, Norris, Azeez (Shields 61).
Unused substitutes: Seabright, Obafemi, D’Ath, Gayle.


    Latest Match Reports