Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 06:00 AM

Bury 1 Daggers 1

It remained goalless at the break, but the hosts took the lead on the hour mark through Chris Hussey, though Daggers once again showed tremendous character to respond just six minutes later through loanee Luke Norris.

But had it not been for a combination of the crossbar and Daggers goalkeeper Chris Lewington, it could have been altogether different as Wayne Burnett’s side picked up a valuable point on the road.

Jack Connors, Luke Howell and Ashley Chambers came in to the side which won 2-1 at Newport County on Wednesday, with Femi Ilesanmi, Billy Bingham and Ade Azeez making way.

The game was slow to get going, but it began to kick into action when Daniel Nardiello raced on to a Frederic Veseli free-kick.

Goalkeeper Lewington raced out of his goal and managed to divert Nardiello wide, and his shot was off target.

Bury continued to press the Daggers with a number of balls into box, and home skipper Craig Jones’ header landed on the roof of the net.

However, the visitors began to get into the game, and had several chances in a short space of time.

Abu Ogogo tried his luck from distance, and his effort was deflected behind for a corner , while from the resulting ball in he flashed a close range shot over the bar.

Norris’ fine run later in the half ended in a shot just off target, before the hosts ended the period on top.

Lewington had to be at his best to deny Clive Platt after the ball found the veteran striker in space in the box.

Connors and D’Ath made way at the break for Ilesanmi and Azeez respectively and the visitors started the half on top.

Norris was through on goal after Ogogo’s block fell kindly for the striker, but veteran goalkeeper Brian Jensen raced out to deny the Brentford loanee.

Referee David Webb then failed to give a penalty when Azeez was bundled over in the box by Jensen, much to the annoyance of the Daggers bench.

And to add insult to injury the Shakers went up the other end and took the lead on the hour mark.

Danny Mayor played the ball through for left back Hussey and he worked his way into the box before slotting past Lewington from the acutest of angles.

One could have become two but for Lewington’s fine save from Platt after another Mayor ball in two minutes later as the visitors looked on the ropes.

However, not for the first time this season, they showed true grit and determination and Norris scored yet another fine, individual goal on 66 minutes.

He managed to jink his way past several attempted Bury tackles before curling into the bottom corner for his fourth goal for the club.

Lewington was then equal to another dangerous Hussey free-kick and the hosts continued to mount a late charge for all three points.

And though Lewington was beaten on one occasion, the Daggers had the woodwork to thank for keeping out an Andy Procter header from yet another Hussey delivery.

Substitute Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro then saw a weak effort held by Lewington with less than 10 minutes remaining.

And despite six minutes of stoppage time being awarded, neither side was able to find a winner.
Dagenham & Redbridge: Lewington, Connors (Ilesanmi 46), Saah, Doe, Hoyte, Ogogo, Chambers (Bingham 87), D'Ath (Azeez 46), Howell, Elito, Norris.
Unused substitutes: Dickson, Shields, Gayle, Seabright.
Attendance: 2,705 (103 Daggers fans)

    Latest Match Reports