Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 06:00 AM

Daggers 1 Morecambe 1

Daggers take point after a late Morecambe equaliser
Last minute goal cost Daggers three points

A last minute goal again proved to be The Daggers downfall as they drew the tie 1-1. The two sides were only separated by one point before the game, which gave The Daggers a chance of climbing the table if they could secure the three points. The first half was an even affair with both sides pressuring the other without pulling the trigger in front of goal.

Just five minutes in Medy Elito was brought down just outside the area, which resulted in a free kick. Luke Norris stepped up to take it and saw his well-hit effort saved in the bottom left corner. It was Elito again ten minutes later making a nuisance of himself forcing Barry Roche into a save with a nicely hit shot down the centre of the goal.

The game then saw an early substitution with Stewart Drummond coming off for Andrew Wright in the 24th minute due to an injury. Wright made an instant impact firing the ball just over the bar after a minute of coming on. It was then Jamie Devitt’s chance to score. The midfielder fired a shot at goal from outside the area but he could only watch the ball go wide to the right.

That was it for the first half with both sides showing an attacking threat but neither converting. This left it all to play for in the second half.

The Daggers came out fighting and it was our man of the match Elito who provided the early attack, with the winger having a shot blocked within two minutes of the half. Debutant Ashley Chambers then saw his header hit the bar from the resulting corner.

It was on the 52nd minute when the deadlock was broken. Chris McCready was adjudged to have handled the ball in the box, much to the dismay of Shrimps manager Jim Bentley that then lead to a penalty.

Elito stepped up to the spot and with a casual stroll up to the ball he coolly placed it right of the keeper to put The Daggers 1-0 up. The Daggers continued with the attack in search of a second goal with Norris and Elito sending various efforts wide of the Morecambe goal.  

From the 70th minute Morecambe upped the pressure with Devitt, Jack Sampson and Alex Kenyan all having chances to level the score line within five minutes of each other.

This isn’t to say that The Daggers weren’t getting forward as well. Luke Howell had a shot from outside the box blocked and Scott Doe had a header fly right of the goal.

But the 89th minute saw heart break for The Daggers as Shrimps captain Mark Hughes forced his way into the left of the box and fired the ball across the goal with his left foot, pass Chris Lewington and into the bottom right hand corner of the goal.

The draw sees The Daggers left in 13th place six points off the playoffs with a game in hand.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Lewington, Hoyte, Doe, Saah, Ilesanmi, Ogogo, Chambers (Bingham 79), Howell, Norris (Shields 79), Azeez, Elito (Dickson 88)
Unused substitutes: Seabright, Connors, D’Ath, Gayle.

Attendance: 1,718 (74 away)

    Latest Match Reports