Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 06:00 AM

Exeter City 2 Dagenham & Redbridge 2

A 95th minute Elliot Richards strike saw Daggers denied victory at St James’ Park.
Tom Nichols put Paul Tisdale’s side in front on 34 minutes but the visitors gained some momentum after Luke Norris’ 62nd minute equaliser.

Medy Elito’s penalty put them in front and they looked all set for the three points when Chris Lewington spilt substitute Elliot Richards’ effort and it squirmed agonisingly over the line.

One change was made to the team which started the 0-0 draw with Mansfield Town as top goalscorer Rhys Murphy missed out through injury, and Luke Howell replaced the former Arsenal man.

It was the hosts who had the first opportunity with just 55 seconds on the clock as Liam Sercombe arrived late in the box to fire well over from Sam Parkin’s left wing cross.

Sercombe shot straight at Lewington from 25 yards, before Daggers went closest of all.

Lawson D’Ath played a ball across to Norris on the left hand side of the area but his curling first time effort struck the post.

That proved to be the lift they needed and skipper Abu Ogogo shot narrowly wide from 25 yards as Daggers started to get a little more joy in the Grecians half.

But after a quiet 10 minutes or so the hosts broke the deadlock, with no less then five Grecians involved in the move.

Good work from Sam Parkin allowed Craig Woodman to deliver a deep ball in and David Wheeler was there to nod it back across goal.

That fell to Matt Grimes and his shot was flicked in by Tom Nichols from just two yards out.

Ashley Chambers made his debut after signing on loan yesterday, but the visitors spent much of the opening exchanges on the back foot.

Danny Coles headed an inswinging Woodman free-kick agonisingly wide and then Lewington came out to deny Sam Parkin a shot on goal.

And while it hadn’t quite clicked for Daggers in the final third for much of the game a fine move from an Exeter corner lead to a precious equaliser.

D’Ath ran the ball out of his won box before supplying Chambers. He brought the ball forward before playing in Brentford loanee Norris.

And although he was denied by the post in the first half the Brentford loanee found the net this time as he curled it into the top corner past Artur Krysiak.

The confidence that gave the visitors was apparent almost immediately and on 72 minutes earned a great chance to get themselves in front.

A ball into the box was directed at Brian Saah where referee David Phillips adjudged that he’d been brought down in the box by Coles.

Despite very few appeals from the Daggers, Phillips pointed to the spot and Elito was the man for the moment as he coolly slotted past Krysiak.

The visitors had to withstand an enormous amount of pressure late on as Exeter pushed for the equaliser, with bodies put on the line in the Daggers cause.

That looked to have won them the game only for Richards’ late effort to be fumbled by Lewington and to his despair it crawled over the line to snatch a late point for the Grecians.
Dagenham & Redbridge: Lewington, Ilesanmi, Doe, Saah, Hoyte, Howell (Chambers 46), Ogogo, D’Ath, Elito, Norris (Wilkinson 90), Azeez (Dickson 90).
Unused substitutes: Seabright, Bingham, Shields, Connors.
Attendance: 3,057 (108 Daggers fans)

    Latest Match Reports