Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 19 Aug 13 at 09:53 AM

Daggers 3 Scunthorpe 3

League Two leaders Scunthorpe were hit by two storms in an amazing game at Victoria Road.
The first came from the elements – with a thunderstorm raging with such intensity the referee was forced to take the players off the field for ten minutes.
The second came from fired up Daggers players, who staged an incredible finish to earn a point after being three goals down with less than 25 minutes to play.
The ferocity of the Daggers attacks had The Iron reeling and they were in no mood to come back out when referee Darren Bond decided it was safe to continue.
The visitors – clinging to a 3-2 lead -certainly took their time getting back into the action. But there was no respite and on-loan new boy Luke Norris had the last word with the goal that wiped out Scunthorpe’s seemingly
impregnable lead.
It was an astonishing recovery and proved that whatever shortcomings the Daggers may have, lack of character is most definitely not one of them.
The team sponsored by an undertaker seemed dead and buried when Scunthorpe eased into a three goal lead and appeared to be well in control.
The league’s leading scorer, Sam Winnall gave them the lead in the 18th minute, sliding in to meet a low left wing cross that split the Daggers defence.
Deon Burton got the second with an hour gone, forcing the ball in from close range after the Daggers failed to deal with a corner – no surprise there then!
Burton was injured in the process of scoring and was replaced by Paul Hayes, who scored with almost his first touch after being played through,
That, we thought, was that and there was no way back for Wayne Burnett’s shattered team. How wrong we were.
It seemed no more than a consolation when all action skipper Abu Ogogo struck a cracking 20 yarder in the 66th minute. But that lt the fires under the Daggers.
Lawson D’Ath should have grabbed a second four minutes later, but he put a glorious chance wide of the keeper’s left hand post.
But with 14 minutes left sub Chris Dickson powered through to belt home  the second and set up a stirring finale. They Were going for the jugular when the violent storm forced the referee to call a halt.
The storm eased up, but the Daggers did not. And when play resumed Norris marked his debut with a goal that gave the home side a point with a blazing finish that fans will remember for a long time.

Daggers: Lewington, Connors, Saah, Wilkinson, Hoyte, Ogogo, Howell (Norris 45), D’Ath, Elito (Dickson 69), Murphy (Shields 69), Hines
Unused substitutes: Seabright, Ilesanmi, Doe, Bingham.

Attendance: 2,037 (537 Scunthorpe United fans)

    Latest Match Reports