Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 05:58 AM

Daggers 0 Fleetwood 1

Daggers were made to rue missed chances as David Ball struck the only goal of the game to condemn Wayne Burnett’s side to a second successive defeat.

Both goalkeepers remained untested for large parts of the game, however Daggers didn’t turn their second half dominance into goals and Ball profited 14 minutes from time.

The hosts felt they had levelled late on when Rhys Murphy chipped Fleetwood ‘keeper Scott Davies but skipper Mark Roberts was adjudged to have cleared off the line, much to annoyance of Murphy and his manager.

Dominic Samuel came in for his Daggers debut after arriving on loan from Reading, while fellow Royals loanee Lawson D’Ath and Jack Connors coming in for Medy Elito, Luke Wilkinson and Femi Ilesanmi.

Jeff Hughes wasted little time in asserting himself on the game as he fired an effort agonisingly wide of the target after two minutes, but other than that the match was devoid of action for the most part.

Samuel looked threatening on the attack, and some silky skills resulted in visiting skipper Roberts booked for a foul on the England under-19 international.

Rhys Murphy did manage to draw Cod Army ‘keeper Scott Davies out of his goal and force a corner, which he took quickly to Zavon Hines, only for Nathan Pond to divert the ball behind for a corner.

Hughes then profited a poor clearance from Jack Connors, but his shot was blocked by the feet of Lewington. Samuel’s debut looked promising but it ended in disappointing as he was stretchered off five minutes before half time after taking a knock on the ankle.

Daggers got off to a bright start in the second half as Hines saw a shot deflected behind for a corner, and then Brian Saah missed a gilt-edged chance when unmarked in the box. He managed to head on Hines’ free-kick, but only into the arms of a relieved Davies.

It was all Daggers in the second half, and up for a corner, Scott Doe saw a header cleared off the line. However they once again went on to rue their missed chances as Fleetwood took advantage of their first clear cut opportunity in the half.

A ball out wide found Connor McLaughlin with time to deliver a ball back into the box and David Ball shot low past Lewington into the bottom corner.

Manager Wayne Burnett immediately brought on Afolabi Obafemi as he went for it, but it was first half substitute Medy Elito who went closest as he shot into the side netting when arriving late at the back post but directed his shot into the side netting.

Daggers threw caution to the wind though and Murphy thought he had levelled when lofting an effort over the onrushing Davies, only for Roberts to hack it clear off the line.

Murphy was furious at the decision and was subsequently booked for his protests to the linesman. Luke Wilkinson was then chucked forward in stoppage time, but it wasn't to be and they were left to contemplate a third home loss of the season.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Lewington, Connors, Doe, Saah, Hoyte (Wilkinson 90), Ogogo, Howell (Obafemi 76), D’Ath, Hines, Murphy, Samuel (Elito 40)
Unused substitutes: Anderson, Ilesanmi, Edgar, Shields.

Attendance: 1,659 (73 Fleetwood fans)


    Latest Match Reports