Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 12 Aug 13 at 09:58 AM

York 3 Daggers 1

Daggers were much the better side in the opening period but failed to make the most of it and paid the ultimate price.

A second half double from Wes Fletcher and one for Ryan Bowman put paid to their chances, despite Rhys Murphy’s late consolation.

Daggers made three alterations from the team which defeated AFC Wimbledon 1-0 on New Year’s Day as Femi Ilesanmi, Luke Wilkinson and Zavon Hines replaced Jack Connors, Lawson D’Ath and Afolabi Obafemi.

The visitors started on the front foot and skipper Abu Ogogo headed wide with just two minutes on the clock.

After the early pressure, the Minstermen started to work their way into the game and goalkeeper Chris Lewington did well to hold a Michael Coulson effort from distance, before also seeing one sail narrowly wide.

But after that all the chances were for Wayne Burnett’s side as Ingham almost directed a corner into his own net, but thankfully for them Lanre Oyebanjo was there on the line to clear the danger.

Ogogo continued to cause the home defence some hassle and ghosted in to head Zavon Hines’ dangerous free-kick behind, with goalkeeper Michael Ingham flat footed.

Ilesanmi also caused a few problems in the attacking third for Nigel Worthington’s side and pulled a lovely ball back for Medy Elito and the winger saw his effort deflected behind for a corner.

Elito took the resulting dead ball and worked it out nicely to an unmarked Murphy on the edge of the area but his shot into a packed box came off a Daggers player and behind for a home goal kick.

The hosts may have been fortunate to be level at the break but Daggers gift wrapped them the opening goal six minutes in.

A poor Lewington clearance found its way back into their penalty box and Bowman was on hand to tap past Lewington.

That only got worse just before the midway point in the half as Fletcher floated a ball into the box from the right, and it took a slight deflection and over a stranded Lewington.

And again it was a case of Daggers gifting the hosts a third when they conceded possession from a throw in, allowing Oyebanjo to pull the ball back across for Fletcher who did the rest.

Rhys Murphy pulled one back 10 minutes from time to give the visitors some hope when firing low past Ingham, but Lewington was the busier keeper in the closing stages.

He blocked well from Bowman before again saving a Michael Coulson effort and that completed a miserable day at the office for the Daggers.

Dagenham & Redbridge:
Lewington, Hoyte, Saah, Doe, Ilesanmi, Wilkinson (Edgar 62), Howell, Ogogo, Elito (Obafemi 76), Murphy, Hines
Unused substitutes: Anderson, Connors, Scott, Dickson, Shields.
Attendance: 3,207 (105 Daggers fans)

    Latest Match Reports