Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 05:57 AM

Oxford Utd 2 Daggers 1

Rhys Murphy’s 11th goal of the season proved in vain at League Two table toppers Oxford United as Dave Kitson struck in stoppage time to seal all three points for the U’s.

James Constable had given the hosts the lead, which they were good value for. And though their rode their luck at times, Murphy struck in first half stoppage time to level.

Much of the second half was spent on the back foot, but the Daggers were much more resolute at the back, though they were breached in stoppage time as Kitson headed home from close range.

Manager Wayne Burnett was forced into three changes to the side which won 2-0 against Wycombe Wanderers last time out as Luke Wilkinson replaced the suspended Scott Doe.

Lawson D’Ath made his first start since joining on loan from Reading for the injured Medy Elito, while Afolabi Obafemi also missed out and was replaced by Josh Scott.

But it was a poor opening to the game for the visitors with all the action coming at Chris Lewington in the Daggers goal

He tipped a Josh Ruffels effort behind for a corner after six minutes, but was beaten just two minutes later as a ball in from Johnny Mullins found Constable who slotted home his seventh goal of the season.

It was one-way traffic as the Daggers failed to get going. Wilkinson was dispossessed by Dave Kitson just outside the area, but no fellow Oxford attacker could get a goalbound touch on the dangerous delivery.

Lewington was certainly kept busy by the U’s and Constable again got an effort on goal but the Daggers keeper was able to gather.

Oxford were much the dominant side, so much so that the Daggers rarely entered the home half throughout the period.

And their first real shot in anger came on the half hour mark as Zavon Hines tested U’s goalkeeper Ryan Clarke, but he managed to get down low to keep out the effort.

The Daggers did look slightly more assured as the half went on, and against the run of play levelled in first half stoppage time.

And it was something special from League Two top goalscorer Murphy as he picked the ball up on the edge of the area and managed to curl a great effort into the top corner past a dumbfounded Clarke.

Fresh from the half-time team talk from Burnett, the Daggers looked more solid all over the park.

And Hines produced a wonderful run in off the right but his shot on goal was weak and after hitting Murphy, was cleared by Chris Wilder’s side.

The Daggers defence did get breached after 64 minutes as Kitson’s throughball was played out to Williams by Constable, but Femi Ilesanmi got a great block in to deny the hosts the opportunity.

However, when a point looked likely Kitson thumped a header in from close range after a ball into the box wasn’t dealt with, and Daggers were left to ponder what may have been.
Dagenham & Redbridge: Lewington, Ilesanmi, Wilkinson, Saah, Hoyte, Ogogo, Howell, D'Ath, Hines, Murphy, Scott (Dickson 84).
Unused substitutes: Seabright, Connors, Shields. Saunders, Edgar.
Attendance: 4,901 (194 Daggers fans)

    Latest Match Reports