Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 05:56 AM

Rhys Murphy proved to be the deciding factor as Daggers picked up their second win over Southend in quick succession
Following on from their 5-2 win in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy a fortnight ago, Murphy’s lob over Southend goalkeeper Daniel Bentley after 31 minutes was the difference between the two sides despite Southend being reduced to 10 men five minutes before the goal for Mark Phillips’ late lunge on Murphy.

Manager Wayne Burnett brought back Jack Connors and Billy Bingham into the starting XI after Saturday’s 2-2 draw at Northampton.

It was the Daggers that created the first opportunity of the match as the ball worked its way through Luke Howell but  under pressure shot wide of the target.

But it was nearly advantage Southend as a nice bit of play from the hosts saw Will Atkinson’s ball in and Scott Doe almost diverted it into his own net but for a smart save from Chris Lewington.

The game was high in intensity with tackles flying in, with  Shrimpers skipper Jon White going in the book for upending Zavon Hines.

White brought down the same man once again just outside the box  but referee James Linnington  decided to keep his cards in his pocket.

However Linnington brought the red card out on 26  minutes when Mark Phillips lunged in on Rhys Murphy and after some consideration opted to give him his marching orders.

And with their first real chance after the dismissal Daggers took the lead when a ball over the top found Murphy who beat the offside trap and he dinked goalkeeper Dan Bentley and it trickled into the net despite Ben Coker’s best attempts to keep it out.

After the break Murphy had a quick snap shot on the edge of the box but fired over the bar.

Daggers remained resolute at the back and Southend were forced into two efforts from distance with Lewington doing well to tip over an effort from Cauley Woodrow, while Ryan Leonard fired a carbon copy just over minutes later.

But the visitors had a great double effort to put the game to bed as first Ogogo saw an effort pushed out by Bentley straight to Elito but he fired the rebound wide of the mark.

Despite their numerical advantage it was the hosts who looked the more likely to score and the Daggers spent large parts of the second period on the back foot but held on to secure a memorable win over their local rivals.
Dagenham & Redbridge:
Lewington, Connors, Saah, Wilkinson (Saunders 58), Doe, Ogogo, Howell, Ogogo, Bingham, Elito (Dickson 81), Hines, Murphy (Obafemi 88).
Unused substitutes: Seabright, Ilesanmi, Scott, Shields
Attendance: 4,523  (405 Daggers fans)


    Latest Match Reports