Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 05:56 AM

Daggers 1 Cheltenham 2

Wayne Burnett had no complaints after the Daggers lost their unbeaten home record and suffered their first defeat in eight matches.

Boss Burnett conceded that Cheltenham – who arrived with a game plan and carried it out to perfection – had been the better team and deserved their victory.

“They had obviously done their homework and did a job on us. They stifled us and we did not get going in any capacity,” said Burnett.

“It’s disappointing their goals came from a free kick and a throw in. But I can’t be too hard on the lads because they have been magnificent over the past six weeks.

"We’ve got to take this on the chin, pick ourselves up and go again. And you often learn more from getting beaten than you do from a victory”.

Cheltenham manager Mark Yates made it clear the plan was to make life as difficult as possible for the in –form Daggers. And his troops certainly did that, giving Burnett’s boys no time or room to play.

“The idea was to compete all over the pitch, get among them and ruffle their feathers. And I’m proud of the way they did it,” said Yates.

Daggers keeper Jordan Seabright was in action in the very first minute, going full length to turn away a free kick from the impressive Matt Richards.

Cheltenham continued to fight for everything and prevent the Daggers getting any sort of rhythm into their game. And it was no more than they deserved when they took the lead in the 31st minute.

The goal came from much traveled veteran Jamie Cureton, who received a throw in 30 yards out and unleashed a volley that caught Seabright off his line and went over his head and into the net.

That gave Cureton special reason to celebrate because it was his 250th goal in league football.

Daggers skipper Abu Ogogo worked hard to get his team back in it and he grabbed his fifth goal of the season to square things up six minutes before half time.

Ogogo pounced to slot the ball in after Cheltenham keeper Scott Brown pushed away a header from Rhys Murphy.

Cheltenham were back in front in the 59th minute, when the Daggers defence switched off when the ball was played into their box. They had two chances to clear the danger, but failed to react and Keith Lowe applied the finishing touch to clinch the victory.

The Daggers threw everything at their visitors in a bid to get something from the game. But Cheltenham were in no mood to give an inch and held on for a deserved victory.

It brought the Daggers great run to an end. But if they learn the lessons from it they are plenty good enough to b ounce back

Dagenham & Redbridge: Seabright, Wilkinson, Doe, Saah, Bingham (Elito 62), Ogogo, Murphy (Scott 84), Obafemi (Dickson 46), Howell, Connors, Hines.

Unused substitutes: Anderson, Ilesanmi, Saunders, Dennis.
Attendance: 1,727 (165 Cheltenham Town fans)


    Latest Match Reports