Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 29 Dec 12 at 10:56 AM

Morecambe 2 - 1 Daggers

The Daggers weren’t able to make it two away wins in four days as they fell to a 2-1 defeat away at Morecambe.

The game which was rescheduled after postponement was met with a generous gesture from the home side, offering free entry to the stadium.

Brian Woodall got the Daggers off to a fantastic start as he volleyed in an early opener. Chris Lewington produced some inspired stops to prevent a first half equaliser, but Morecambe made a second half comeback with goals from Jordan Burrow and Andy Parrish.

With no Sam Williams in the squad, Brian Woodall was paired alongside Josh Scott up top, as John Still looked to take the game to 19th placed Morecambe.

That game hadn’t settled at all before the Daggers took an early lead on 7 minutes. After Matt Saunders’ corner wasn’t cleared, Brian Woodall saw a sight of goal and duly obliged by striking a volley into the net, silencing the home crowd.

It took some great defending from Luke Wilkinson and Femi Ilesanmi to prevent Morecambe from equalising before an incredible save from Chris Lewington. Lewis Alessandra’s deflected shot looked to be heading in before Lewington quickly reacted and somehow managed to touch the ball onto the crossbar.

The Daggers ‘keeper continued his excellent form throughout the first half and denied the hosts on a number of occasions with some fine stops. Stuart Drummond had a good chance to grab an equaliser just before half time, but much to the crowd’s disbelief, his header from a hanging cross was put wide, with the Daggers going 1-0 up at the break.

Not long after the interval and Morecambe were rewarded with their long awaited goal. A cross to the far post was nodded down by the unmarked Kevin Ellison and Jordan Burrow was on hand to put home the leveller from close range.

Morecambe were beginning to dominate and the Daggers found it hard to create any chances of note in the second period. Gary McDonald almost put his side ahead on 63 minutes, but his effort was cleared off the line.

The home side completed their comeback on 76 minutes as right back Andy Parrish grabbed his first ever goal in a Morecambe shirt. After the ball was swung in from the left hand side, it wasn’t cleared and fell to Parrish who slid in at the far post to put his side ahead.

John Still’s men weren’t able to mount any comeback of their own as Morecambe battled well to hold the Daggers at bay.

Attendance: 4,029 (56 away)


Morecambe: Roche (GK); Fenton, Wright, McCready, Parrish, Ellison, Drummond, McDonald, Alessandra, Burrow, Redshaw (Parkinson, 66)

Subs not used: Arestidou, Threlfall, Haining, Reid, Fleming, McGee

Goalscorers: Burrow, 53, Parrish, 76

Daggers: Lewington (GK); Hoyte, Wilkinson, Doe, Ilesanmi; Howell, Saunders, Ogogo (c), Elito; Scott (Reed, 65), Woodall

Subs not used: Seabright, Maher, Spillane, Caprice, Bingham, Edmans

Goalscorers: Woodall, 7

    Latest Match Reports