Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 23 Oct 12 at 15:41 PM

AFC Bournemouth 4 – 0 Daggers

The Daggers were unable to produce an upset in the FA Cup first round as they were comfortably beaten 4-0 by their League 1 opponents Bournemouth.

 Josh McQuoid started the scoring for the Cherries on 30 minutes, and that tally was doubled shortly after half time when Marc Pugh smashed home. McQuoid then grabbed himself another and Wes Fogden finished off the scoring from distance as the Daggers will go home disappointed with the lack of chances they created.

 A familiar starting XI was named by manager John Still as his team started the game looking to cause an upset against League 1 side Bournemouth. The hosts however, came into the match on fine form since the reappoint of former manager Eddie Howe.

 It wasn’t the most pleasant of starts to the game, as just 3 minutes in; Chris Lewington took a blow to the head after bravely denying Matt Tubbs. After restarting play though, the Daggers almost took the lead, but Michael Spillane couldn’t guide his volleyed effort from a corner either side of Shwan Jalal.

 The Cherries made a strong start to the match and were causing the Daggers back line problems. Abu Ogogo and Luke Wilkinson did well to block efforts inside the first 20 minutes and Josh McQuoid should have done better from close range.

 On the half-hour mark though, Bournemouth did make the breakthrough when McQuoid capitalised on a loose ball inside the box. Lewis Grabban did well to cross from the right hand side but after it was parried out by Lewington, McQuoid could knock the ball into the net past the despairing defenders on the line.

 A change of goalkeepers was required for the Daggers at half-time, with young Jordan Seabright coming on to make his first appearance for the club as the rain pelted down in Dorset. He was involved instantly and produced a superb diving save from Marc Pugh.

 Eddie Howe’s intent for the second half was clear as his side went in search of increasing their lead. After a number of half chances, they doubled their tally on 57 minutes when the ball fell to Pugh 8 yards out where he slammed home.

 The Daggers struggled to break into the game and looked second best to their formidable opponents. Dwight Gayle felt he should have done better after climbing above the Cherries defence to head over from a corner, and Sam Williams lightened the mood of the crowd when he collided with the linesman.

 Bournemouth confirmed their place in the next round just before 80 minutes when McQuoid grabbed his second of the game to make it 3-0; his powerful first time shot from 20-yards flew past debutant Seabright and into the far corner.

 McQuoid should have got his hat-trick late on but substitute Wes Fogden was on hand late on to make it 4-0 to the home side after an accurate finish from outside the area. It could have been more for the Cherries but for wasteful finishing as they dumped the Daggers out of the FA Cup.

 Attendance: 5,827 (186 away)


Bournemouth: Jalal (GK); Francis, Cook, Elphick (c), Daniels, Grabban (Fogden, 81), MacDonald, Arter (O’Kane, 81), Pugh, McQuoid, Tubbs (McDermott, 70)

Subs not used: James (GK), Fletcher, Addison, Partington

 Goalscorers: McQuoid, 30, 78, Pugh, 57, Fogden, 90

 Daggers: Lewington (GK) (Seabright, 46); Ogogo (c), Wilkinson, Doe, Ilesanmi; Howell (Hoyte, 71), Saunders, Spillane (Woodall, 27), Elito; Gayle, Williams

Subs not used: Green, Maher, Reed


    Latest Match Reports