Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 03 Jul 12 at 19:44 PM

Barnet 0 - 0 Daggers

The Daggers earned a valuable point against London rivals Barnet as they were held to a scrappy 0-0 at Underhill.

It didn’t prove to be much of a spectacle as the game took some time to get going. Chances were a rarity, but Medy Elito came closest after smashing the crossbar from distance and Barnet were later reduced to 10 men.

After an exciting day of loan signings on Thursday, Wayne Burnett proceeded to start both John Miles in goal and Toni Silva for their respective debuts for the club. Mo Shariff and Jonathon Fortune were named on the bench against an improved Barnet side compared to the one that started the season.

Although there was an electric atmosphere at Underhill, the game got off to the slowest of starts and chances were few and far between. The pitch was in a woeful state and restricted both teams from playing any kind of attractive football.

In fact, the only thing to get the crowd going was the countless number of tough challenges. That was until the 35thminute when the Daggers registered the first shot of the game.

In a carbon copy routine of the winning goal at Rotherham a few weeks back, the ball fell to Luke Wilkinson from a corner, after a few step-over’s from his team mates, but he couldn’t connect properly.

The home side went close moments later, as they firstly had an attempt cleared off the line before Jake Hyde clipped the top of the bar with a close range effort, sending the teams in level at the break.

After a strong penalty shout for the Daggers was turned down, they almost found the net with their next attack. Out of nothing, debutant Toni Silva picked up the ball 25-yards out and struck curling effort which went narrowly wide of the target.

Midway through the second half, Barnet player/manager, Edgar Davids also tried his luck from distance in a bid to open the scoring, but like Silva, his effort went marginally off-target.

Continuing the trend of long-rang efforts, Medy Elito came agonizingly close to giving his side the lead with a moment of genius. Picking up a long ball, he judged the bounce expertly and struck the sweetest of volleys from 30-yards out which smashed against Graham Stack’s crossbar.

After the game settled for a brief period, the crowd were up on their feet after Kyle Da Silva caught Wilkinson with a rash tackle, and he was subsequently shown his marching orders; giving his side a tough final 5 minutes.

The Daggers couldn’t take advantage of the extra man and the hosts held out for a 0-0 draw. It didn’t stop there though as the referee appeared to send of Barnet’s Barry Fuller after the final whistle, presumably for something he said.

Attendance- 3,680


Barnet: Stack (gk); Fuller, Byrne, Nurse, Hyde (Beattie, 83), Weston, Johnson, Stephens, Oster (Da Silva, 75), Davids (c) (Yiadom, 79), Flanagan

Subs not used: Gambin, N’Toko, Barnes, Jenkins

Daggers: Miles (gk); Hoyte, Wilkinson, Doe, Ilesanmi; Saunders, Howell, Ogogo (c), Silva (Shariff, 68); Elito, Strevens

Subs not used: Seabright, Gracco, Fortune, Maher, Bingham, Reed


    Latest Match Reports