Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 16:47 PM

Fleetwood 2 -1 Daggers

The Daggers fell to a 2-1 away defeat to Fleetwood Town, having produced a lacklustre performance

Medy Elito fired in a fourth minute penalty for the visitors, which was quickly cancelled out by a Chris Lewington own goal in a frantic opening to the match. With few chances to follow for the Daggers, Gareth Evans sealed all three points for the hosts with a long range effort.

On a day where snow played havoc to the footballing schedule, the Fleetwood Town pitch remained relatively unscathed, as Wayne Burnett went in search of just his second win in charge. The manager named an unchanged side to the one which drew at home to Burton Albion last week.

The game started at lightening speed, and the Daggers took the lead with just 4 minutes on the clock. The visitors initially broke which saw Josh Scott and Gavin Hoyte hit the bar in quick succession before Shaun Beeley handled inside the box, giving the referee no option but to point to the spot. Medy Elito subsequently stepped and gave his side an early lead.

It was to be short-lived though, as the Cod Army quickly drew level in unfortunate circumstances. Daggers ‘keeper Chris Lewington will be disappointed with his role in the goal, as he failed to react to a routine cross from Junior Brown, instead patting the ball into his own net.

Ben Strevens added to an already exciting opening to the match as his header from a corner struck the bar following the equaliser, keeping the scores at 1-1.

After such an explosive start to the game, it inevitably lost its pace as there were few chances remaining in the first half. Gareth Evans had a goal disallowed for the hosts, while Luke Howell shot over in the closing stages of the half following a Matt Saunders corner; the sides going in all square at the break.

Graham Alexander’s men made the greater of the starts to the second half, as Anthony Barry tested Lewington’s awareness, firing a long range shot just over the crossbar.

The home crowd didn’t have to wait much longer for that illusive lead however, as it came on 51 minutes. Out of nothing, Gareth Evans picked up the ball 30-yards out, drove forward and struck an excellent shot which beat the helpless Lewington.

In the second period, the Daggers had their first real sight of goal midway through the half. Luke Wilkinson somehow found the ball up-field and the highly-rated defender did brilliantly to make his way into the box, but was unlucky to see his goal-bound effort blocked by Ryan Edwards.

Another rare chance fell to the Daggers with 10 minutes remaining. Jake Reed did well to get a shot on goal, and after it was parried by the ‘keeper, Josh Scott was unlucky not to get on the end of it.
It wasn’t enough for the Daggers, as they failed to create anymore meaningful chances to threaten the Cod Army goal. Burnett will feel disappointed by his sides defeat, giving him a lot to reflect on, on his long journey back to East London.

Attendance:2,019 (130 Away Fans)

Fleetwood Town: Davies (gk) (c); Beeley, Barry, Pond, Matt (Fontaine, 79), Nicholson, Brown (Crowther, 86), Goodall, McGuire, Edwards, Evans

Subs not used: Lucas, Mangan, McLuaghlin, Johnson, Ball

Goalscorers: Lewington, 7 (o.g), Evans, 51

Daggers: Lewington (gk) (Seabright, 63); Hoyte (Green, 70), Wilkinson, Doe, Ilesanmi; Saunders, Ogogo (c), Howell, Eilto; Scott, Strevens (Reed, 70)

Subs not used: Gracco, Maher, Currie, Shields

Goalscorer:Elito, 4 (pen),

    Latest Match Reports