Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 16:47 PM

Wayne Burnett grabbed his first victory as Daggers manager, impressively beating high-flying Rotherham United 2-1, thanks to Luke Wilkinson’s late winner

After a quiet first half, the Daggers were awarded a penalty which subsequently saw Kari Arnason sent off. Elito smashed the ball home, but the hosts quickly levelled through Claude Davis. Luke Wilkinson grabbed the late winner, after a well worked training routine.

Burnett made three changes to his side which lost to Chesterfield last weekend, with Kevin Maher, Medy Elito and Josh Scott being given the nod.

The Daggers won the reverse fixture 5-0 earlier in the season, but they faced a Rotherham side, whose vision was set on League Two promotion.

The home side’s intent was shown from the start as Michael O’Connor’s free-kick went close. But it was the Daggers who should have taken the lead on 14 minutes when Abu Ogogo blazed over form close range after Medy Elito’s cut-back.

The Millers then took control of the game, and again O’Connor went mightily close with a free-kick. Their defensive line was looking an increasingly hard task to penetrate, as Josh Scott in particular was getting no luck out of Claude Davis.

Lee Frecklington should have given his side the lead on the 45thminute as he was put clean through, but Chris Lewington superbly denied the attacker as the sides went in level at the break.

The second half burst into life on 57 minutes as the Daggers were awarded a penalty after Elito was dragged down by Kari Arnason, who was then sent off having been the last man. Elito stepped up himself and lashed the ball down the middle of the goal to give his side the lead.

It didn’t take long for the fired-up Millers to strike back with 10 men though. After forcing a corner, the delivery was precisely whipped in and met by the colossal head of Davis, who slammed in the equaliser.

Rotherham were piling on the pressure coming into the final third of the game, and Lewington was at full stretch again, this time denying Alex Revell from distance.

The Daggers regained their lead with 8 minutes remaining and in superb fashion. Matt Saunders rolled in a free-kick which was stepped over by a couple of players inside the area, and finally found Luke Wilkinson who smashed home the well worked training ground routine.

The visitors endured some nervy moments, which saw Ben Pringle hit the bar, but held out for Burnett’s first win in charge.

Attendance:7,309 (124 away)


Rotherham United: Warrington (GK); Mullins (c), Davis, Arnason, Ridehalgh (Bradley, 60); O’Connor, Noble; Pringle (Agard, 88), Frecklington, Nardiello; Revell (Odejayi, 83)

Subs not used: Shearer, Tonge, Bradley, Odejayi, Morgan, Agard, Rowe

Goalscorers: Davis, 62

Daggers: Lewington (GK); Hoyte, Wilkinson, Doe, Ilesanmi; Maher (Bingham, 45), Howell, Ogogo (c); Saunders, Elito (Strevens, 83), Scott

Subs not used: Seabright, Gracco, Green, Dennis, Reed, Strevens

Goalscorers: Elito (pen, 57), Wilkinson, 82

    Latest Match Reports