Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 16:47 PM

Having produced a spirited display, the Daggers were unlucky to fall to a 2-1 defeat against high-flying Gillingham.

The Gills took the lead with a controversial goal which was initially ruled out for offside. Femi Ilesanmi then equalised in the second half with a superb run and finish. The hosts grabbed all three points though, when Deon Burton slotted home a penalty.

For his side’s trip to Kent, John Still started the same team which took all three points from Cheltenham Town last week. Ben Strevens lined up against his former employers, while Dominic Green was back on the bench following his loan spell at Dartford.

Both sides made an impressive start to the game, but it was Daggers who created the early chances. Abu Ogogo did well to work his way into the box but saw his close range shot blocked. Similarly, the Gills got bodies in the way to prevent Luke Wilkinson’s effort from a dangerous corner moments later.

Just before the 30 minute mark the game was fuelled with controversy as Leon Legge fired home from close range after Myles Weston delivered a cross. The linesman raised his flag for offside causing both teams to swarm the officials, who eventually awarded the goal.

With a minute left of the first half, the Daggers came inches from an equaliser. Femi Ilesanmi showed brilliant skill the beat a number of defenders, but his low drive across the 6-yard box couldn’t find the sliding Sam Williams.

Shortly after the restart, the Daggers fans were bouncing up and down with joy as Femi Ilesanmi equalised with his first ever goal. The crowd favourite made a strong run into the box and after the ball came back to him he tucked it into the bottom corner to add to his already impressive performance.

The home crowd were stunned when Charlie Lee missed a golden chance to put his side in front. After Matt Fish crossed perfectly into the area, Lee glanced his free head from 6-yards wide of the post.

With their next attack however, the Gills were awarded a penalty when Chris Lewington bought down Anton Robinson. Substitute Deon Burton stepped and sent the ‘keeper the wrong way, restoring his sides lead.

A chance went begging for the Daggers with 10 minutes remaining as Wilkinson headed over from Dominic Green free-kick. The defender, who was under pressure, looped his header over the far post.

The visitors piled on the pressure in the final stages of the match. One effort was cleared off the line after Stuart Nelson fumbled from a corner, and Sam Williams shot wide of the mark.

John Still’s men battled well right until the final whistle but couldn’t penetrate the Gills defence to find that equaliser.

Attendance: 5,611 (228 away)


Gillingham: Nelson (GK); Fish (Dack, 81), Martin, Legge, Whelpdale, Lee, Robinson, Frampton (Burton, 65), Weston, Barrett (c), McDonald (Gregory, 72)

Subs not used: Williams, Birchall, Forecast, Richardson

Goalscorers: Legge, 29, Burton (pen), 67

Daggers: Lewington (GK); Hoyte (Reed, 90), Wilkinson, Doe, Ilesanmi; Howell, Ogogo (c), Saunders (Green, 79), Elito (Caprice, 75); Strevens, Williams

Subs not used: Seabright, Maher, Bingham, Woodall

Goalscorers: Ilesanmi, 52

    Latest Match Reports