Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 16:46 PM

In a largely disappointing game at Home Park, the Daggers shared a point a piece with Plymouth Argyle as the game finished 0-0.

Both teams had chances to break the deadlock in the first half, but equally lacked any cutting edge or creativity in the second as they settled for a stalemate.

The big news ahead of kick-off for the Daggers fans was that former favourite, Ben Strevens, back for his second spell at the club, started alongside Sam Williams up front having signed on Thursday. Argyle also included a new signing of their own, Jason Banton, on loan from Crystal Palace.

It was a match of great importance for both teams, and with just 5 minutes on the clock, the Daggers should have taken the lead. Femi Ilesanmi did well down the left and whipped in an enticing delivery which was met the head of midfielder Luke Howell, who with a free header from 6-yards out should have done better.

The Pilgrims are currently in a rut and it was reflected in their start to the match. Similarly, the Daggers haven’t had a good spell of late but they were taking the game to the home side. Mid-way through the first half, Howell had another chance to break the deadlock, however, ‘keeper Jake Cole was equal to his volley.

Moments later, the Argyle faithful couldn’t believe what they had seen. Having seen their cross go too deep, Paris Cowan-Hall did well to cut the ball back and with the goal gaping from 2-yards out, Reuben Reid somehow kicked the ball against himself and into the hands of Chris Lewington.

Having shaken off their bad start, John Sheridan’s side began to produce chances. But the home crowd again had their heads in their hands with 10 minutes to go as Ronan Murray rattled the bar from close range after Jason Banton’s inch perfect drilled cross. With both teams rueing their missed chances, the sides went level at the break.

Banton was proving to be a tricky customer for the Daggers as he unlocked the defence once again after the restart, but Ronan Murray couldn’t beat Lewington when clean through. The Daggers stopper was on fine form and was on hand again from the subsequent corner, producing a reaction save from Reid’s header.

With a positive start being made by both teams, the game quickly quietened and a scrappy battle took place. It was incredibly frustrating contest for both sets of fans, who let their team know what they thought through a chorus of moans as neither could string together a set of passes.

John Still will be disappointed with his side’s inability to penetrate the Argyle defence as Jake Cole wasn’t tested once throughout the second half. The Daggers will need to up their performance ahead of next week when they play host to high-flying Cheltenham Town.

Attendance:6,234 (84 away)


Plymouth Argyle: Cole (gk); Berry, Branston, Hourihane (c), Cowan-Hall, Young, Bhasera, Banton (Gurrieri, 78), Reid (Harvey, 85), Charles, Murray (Lecointe, 80)

Subs not used: Chenoweth, Blanchard, Wotton, Lowry

Dagenham & Redbridge: Lewington (gk); Ogogo (c), Wilkinson, Doe, Ilesanmi; Howell, Saunders (Hoyte, 66), Bingham (Woodall, 88), Elito; Williams, Strevens

Subs not used: Seabright, Caprice, Maher, Dennis, Reed

    Latest Match Reports