Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 16:45 PM

Cheltenham 2-0 Daggers

Two goals either side of half time were enough for Cheltenham Town, as last years play-off finalists beat the Daggers 2-0 in their first league game of the season. 

Shaun Harrad opened the scoring for the Robins on 45 minutes which was doubled just after the break by a stunning effort from Jermaine McGlashan.

Dagenham fans however will feel aggrieved for not being awarded a penalty 20 minutes from time. 

John Still made one change to the side which lost to Coventry City in midweek, Dwight Gayle taking the place of Josh Scott for his league debut.

It was a hot and humid afternoon in Gloucestershire, but despite the heat both sides set out with a good tempo. 

The first chance of the game fell to the hosts with 10 minutes on the clock. Jermaine McGlashan picked up on Scott Doe’s poor clearance and flashed a half-volley past Chris Lewington’s far post.

It was the Robins who were beginning to take the game to the Daggers. McGlashan was again the danger man and after his good work, Shaun Harrad put a ball across the 6 yard box which was bundled wide by a host of players. 

The away side weathered the storm well. Brian Woodall’s pass on the left wing found Medy Elito who took his time and let rip from 25 yards which ‘keeper Scott Brown was equal to, producing a fantastic save and pushing around the upright. 

Only heroic defending from two Cheltenham defenders prevented Gayle from breaking the deadlock. Woodall’s cross into the box, found Gayle who just 6 yards out found his shot blocked. 

It was in fact Sam Deering who should have opened the scoring. After running onto a ball in the box, he placed his shot past Lewington but was unlucky to see it hit the post.

On the stroke of half time, Deering made amends for his miss. Breaking down the right wing, he put a good cross into the box which was met by Harrad who slotted home from close range.

McGlashan who was a real threat in the first half made an instant impact two minutes after half time. Collecting the ball 25 yards out, the tricky winger’s well hit shot flew straight into the top corner making the score 2-0 to the home side.

The game was starting to flatten out but with a quarter of the game remaining, the away fans were on their feet. Gayle went down in the box under the challenge from Steve Elliot for what looked like a clear penalty. The referee on the other hand had different ideas and booked Gayle for diving.

The Daggers were unlucky not to pull one back with 10 minutes remaining. Scott Doe headed down a corner to fellow defensive partner Michael Spillane who put his shot the wrong side of the post.

With the full time score 2-0, John Still now turns his attention to Tuesday night when the Daggers play host to Plymouth Argyle. 

Attendance - 2655 (164 Away)


Lewington, Hoyte, Doe, Spillane, Ilesanmi, Ogogo (c), Howell (Danny Green), Bingham, Elito, Woodall (Williams), Gayle.

Subs Not Used: Seabright, Wilkinson, Reed, Dennis, Scott

    Latest Match Reports