Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 28 Apr 12 at 18:35 PM

Shrewsbury 1-0 Daggers

The Daggers were unable to extend their eight game unbeaten run as an expectant Shrewsbury sealed promotion to npower League One this afternoon at the Greenhous Meadow.

The Daggers were dealt a blow when club captain Mark Arber was forced to pull out with a calf problem pre-match; Luke Howell came into the side with Mickey Spillane dropping into the centre of defence.

A sell-out home crowd greeted both sides and it was the Daggers who adapted best early on. Brian Woodall shot straight at Chris Neal in the Shrews goal from 30 yards and Damien McCrory also had a long range effort before the Shrews threatened.

But they soon did and McCrory produced a fantastic defensive header from underneath his own crossbar to deny the hosts, captain Ian Sharps then curled wide from 25 yards as the Shrews looked for the goal which would secure League One football.

The game then entered a lull but Daggers captain for the day Scott Doe was soon called into action to clear a header off of the goal-line from a corner. Medy Elito then took aim from 25 yards, it had Neal worried but just passed his left hand post.

The only goal of the game came soon after and it was Shrewsbury top scorer James Collins who got it. A corner was half cleared and the powerful striker headed in a fine cross from Nicky Wroe from 8 yards, Chris Lewington had no chance in goal for the visitors.

Lewington was then forced into action throwing himself at Collins after a dinked cross found him at the back post. That was the last goalmouth action of the 1st half and the Daggers were probably unlucky to be behind.

Neither side made a change at the break and after a slow opening ten minutes the Shrews should have doubled their lead. The imposing figure of Grandison rampaged forward from right back and his cross was turned the wrong side of the post by Terry Gornell, he was close in and really should have scored.

Luke Howell was busy on his return to the side and his shot deflected up and just over the bar before both sides made changes. Ex-Dagger Marvin Morgan came on for the hosts whilst Dom Green & Peter Gain emerged for the Daggers, it was Gain's first appearance since December.

Ahmed Abdulla came on for Brian Woodall late on but neither side made a meaningful chance and the game ended 1-0.

Thousands of Shrewsbury fans rushed onto the pitch at the final whistle and Graham Turner's side can now look forward to League One football, whilst the Daggers drop to 20th.

To Read Updates From The Match As It Happened ClickHere.

    Latest Match Reports