Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 06 Mar 12 at 23:08 PM

Swindon Town 4-0 Daggers

Swindon Town 4-0 Daggers

The Daggers travelled to Swindon on the back of a three game unbeaten run but despite a bright start that run came to an abrupt end at the County Ground.

John Still made just the one enforced change from the side that beat Bradford City on Saturday as Billy Bingham came in for the injured Matthew Saunders in the heart of the Daggers midfield. Ben Reeves had switched with Medy Elito and the on loan Southampton man started just behind lone striker Josh Scott.

And it was Reeves who had the 1st shot of the match, but his looping effort from 25 yards was never threatening Wes Foderingham in the Swindon goal and Swindon soon began to exert some pressure on Jonathon Bond's goal.

Ex-Dagger Matt Ritchie swung in a free-kick from wide on the right and Raffaele De Vita rose highest to flick the ball goalwards but it was comfortably wide of the Daggers goal. The other Ex-Dagger in the Town line up then threatened for the 1st time, Paul Benson was well picked out by Paul Caddis, he controlled the cross well but Mickey Spillane was there to block his attempted shot. Caddis picked up an injury in the move and was soon replaced by Jonathan Smith.

Jon Nurse was causing problems down the Daggers right and from a corner he won Medy Elito flashed a stunning volley inches wide, it would have been an amazing goal and it was the closest the Daggers came all evening.

Swindon then showed why they are top of npower League Two by stepping through the gears and taking the lead. A long passing move ended with Billy Bodin stepping past both Mark Arber & Scott Doe before firing onto Bond's left hand post. The ball was never properly cleared though and Paul Benson was allowed time to cross from the right allowing Bodin to tap home from a matter of yards.

It was revealed after the match that Benson was offside but the goal stood and the Daggers faced an uphill challenge from here. That challenge was made all the harder eleven minutes later when Scott was sent off.

The striker controlled a long ball well but his next touch saw the ball run away towards Oliver Risser, Scott lunged for the ball and despite making contact it was reckless and he can have no real complaints about the dismissal. Ben Reeves was taken off for Brian Woodall as John Still looked to keep a physical presence up top for the remainder of the match.

De Vita had the best chance to double the lead before the half time interval but his first touch was very poor and Ritchie's good work was wasted. At half time Swindon were 1-0 in front.

The opening fifteen minutes of the 2nd half were a non-event with the Daggers now playing a 4-3-2 formation stifling their opponents well. That all changed on the hour mark though as Joe Devera headed home at the back post from a Luke Rooney corner, it was far too easy for the defender to score and at that point the game looked to be over.

If it wasn't over then it certainly was just three minutes later, a neat move ended with Ritchie crossing from the right, Bodin dummied cleverly which allowed the impressive Rooney to slide past Bond from 12 yards.

A further ten minutes passed before Paul Benson notched against his former club to make it four, Rooney weaved his way through on the left and his shot looked to be rolling in but Benson took no chances and tapped home from a matter of inches to make it four. Benson didn't celebrate the goal against his former club.

Swindon were threatening to run riot now with Rooney in particular causing havoc on the left, Still's side kept battling but never really looked like scoring; Billy Bingham's low drive from 25 yards the nearest they came in the latter stages.

The Daggers dropped back into the relegation zone following the defeat and will be looking to get back on track on Saturday when they travel to AFC Wimbledon.

    Latest Match Reports