Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 24 Oct 11 at 18:01 PM

Daggers 2-5 Aldershot Town

Dagenham & Redbridge 2 - 5 Aldershot Town

By Paul Nicolaou

Dagenham's worrying run of form continued as they were beaten by a clinical Aldershot Town at The London Borough Of Barking & Dagenham Stadium..

Two goals from Jermaine McGlashan and a goal apiece from Peter Vincenti, Michael Rankine and Luke Guttridge gave the visitors a comfortable victory, with Jon Nurse and Damien McCrory providing the home side with some consolation.

The Daggers got off to the worse possible start, as Adam Smith crossed to the far post and found McGlashan who caught the defence napping to side foot past the helpless Chris Lewington after three minutes.

The home side responded immediately when striker Nurse forced Ross Worner into a fine save to earn a corner almost straight from the restart. However, from the resulting corner the away team counter attacked with devastating consequences, with the ball cleared to Bradley Bubb who ran from just inside the Dagenham half to the edge of the box, drilling a shot at Lewington who could only parry into the path of Vincenti, leaving him with the simplest of tap ins to put the shots two up inside five minutes.

The Daggers found a foothold in the game, and managed to steady the ship. On the 20 minute mark, Kevin Maher carved opened the Aldershot defence to put Nurse through on goal, only for the Daggers hotshot to be thwarted by the alertness of Worner in the visitors goal who rushed out to neutralise the threat.

However, Aldershot were always looking dangerous up top with the physical strength of Rankine leading the line, and his hard work paid off after 37 minutes when ran into the Dagenham area, cut inside and was tripped by Mark Arber and a penalty awarded. Arber could have little complaint about the decision or the resulting yellow card. Rankine stepped up to convert and the game looked all but over.

But the Daggers weren't going down without a fight, and were rewarded after 42 minutes when a McCrory corner was met by Nurse who rose well to pull a goal back as half time approached.

Unfortunately for the home side, there was still enough time in the half for the shots to restore their three goal advantage as captain Luke Guttridge was on hand to head home from a corner on the stroke of half time.

The second half started brightly for Dagenham who knocked the ball around well as they looked to salvage something from a disappointing first half.

On the Hour mark Troy Hewitt came on for Brian Woodhall as John Still looked to shake things up.

The Daggers came close to cutting the deficit on 73 minutes when a McCrory free kick was headed on by Arber and put just over the bar by the foot of Gavin Tomlin. That was to be Tomlin's final contribution as he made way for Oliver Lee.

Dagenham finally broke through the Aldershot defence again when McCrory blasted a free kick just outside the box through the wall and past Worner in goal to give the home fans a glimmer of hope.

But the away team were resolute and in the dying minutes of the game added a fifth when the pacey McGlashan darted in to the area, turned and buried his effort into the net.

Vicarage Field Man of the Match: Damien McCrory

Attendance: 1796 (281 Away)

Daggers Player subscribers can hear from Terry Harris after the game by clicking here.

    Latest Match Reports