Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 02 Oct 11 at 14:03 PM

Daggers 2-1 Crewe

It took a long time coming but Richard Rose's winner was well worth the wait as the Daggers got their campaign back on track. Rose powered home in the 94th minute to end a pulsating clash at the London Borough of Barking & Dagenham Stadium.

John Still resisted the temptation to throw Troy Hewitt straight into the starting eleven, the QPR loanee had to settle for a place on the bench. Rose and Damien McCrory did come into the side though, replacing Abu Ogogo and Femi in the full back positions. The only other change from last week saw Gavin Tomlin recalled to the side in the place of Brian Woodall.

These changes looked like having the desired effect as the Daggers started off extremely well in the searing heat. Jon Nurse first fired wide from a Damian Scannell knockdown before Gavin Tomlin ran and fired goalwards from 25 yards, the strike had goal written all over it before Steve Phillips dived low to his right and tipped it wide.

Crewe's extremely young side had started slowly but grew into the game and certainly had chances of their own as the half went on. The impressive Nick Powell had probably their best chance of the half, a deflected cross from Byron Moore deceived Richard Rose and allowed Powell to strike from 15 yards out. He caught it as sweet as he could have hoped and forced Chris Lewington into a superb save low to his left.

That was the last major chance of the half which saw the Daggers make all the early running before Dario Gradi's side got back into it and impressed with their neat passing style as the half went on.

The 2nd half started relatively slowly but Scott Doe was quickly called into action, Ajay Leitch-Smith was on the end of a lightning quick Crewe break and just as he looked like pulling the trigger Doe made a goal saving challenge as he slid in and denied the frontman. Lewington was then required as Powell cut in and shot only to see the Daggers number 1 tip it wide.

Hewitt then came on for the hard working Damian Scannell, and soon after the game came to life. On 75 minutes Shaun Miller forced Lewington into another fantastic save, but his luck wasn't in as Byron Moore bundled the rebound home despite the efforts of Damien McCrory on the line. So the Daggers found themselves behind once again and looked like heading for a 6th straight League Two defeat.

A quick reply was needed and a quick reply was found. Straight from the kick off Gavin Tomlin went on a mazy run down the left wing, cut in and found Peter Gain. He prodded an effort towards goal which somehow found the lurking Sam Williams who turned home an instant equaliser. Williams soon went off with a nasty looking injury, the frontman was replaced by DJ Green. Nurse was now up top with Hewitt, Green working from the left and Tomlin the right.

The last ten was a nervy affair with both sides looking for the goal which would surely be the winner, the Daggers were looking the more likely scorers and all their pressure paid off in the 4th minute of the 4 added on.

Ollie Lee battled well on the right hand side to win a corner which was taken by McCrory, the ball was lofted in to a dangerous area and found an unmarked Rose who headed home for his first goal for the club.

Post-match reaction from Terry Harris is available here.

    Latest Match Reports