Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 20 Sep 11 at 10:48 AM

Fourth Consecutive Defeat For Daggers

A double goal blast early in the second half sent the Daggers sliding to a fourth successive League Two defeat, writes Jack Steggles.

With just one point taken from the last 15 things can surely only get better. And the good news for long suffering fans is that manager John Still is convinced they will.

Following years of massive over achievement - with the club on such limited resources doing far better than anyone was entitled to expect - the Daggers have gone into reverse and right now are not playing to their full potential.

A crop of injuries and being forced to play young recruits a bit too early is partly responsible for that and is an issue Still is anxious to sort out.

The manager confirmed that when he said: "This was a better performance than some we have produced recently, but it was nowhere near what we are capable of. We can do better and we will do better".

The Daggers gave as good as they got against the league leaders and in an evenly fought first half neither keeper was seriously threatened. But the picture changed within two minutes from the restart when Morecambe broke the deadlock.

Jon Nurse was dispossessed on the halfway line and the Daggers were made to pay a heavy price as the visitors broke quickly. The ball was swept out to Danny Carlton, completely unmarked on the right. He has all the time he needed to take it and drive a low shot across Chris Lewington and inside the far post.

The Shrimp struck another killer blow six minutes later, when they double their lead. Lewington knocked away a fierce effort driven in from the left, but had still not recovered his balance when Stewart Drummond prodded the rebound into the net.

That brought chants of "we want six" from Morecambe fans who still remember the hiding their team got in a League two play off on this ground in May last year.

That second goal hit Dagenham badly and for spell they were all over the place. But they slowly regained their shape and got back into it with a goal from Oliver Lee in the 72nd minute.

Taking a free kick out on the left, on-loan Hammer Lee hit a cracking right foot shot that floated over the wall and into the top corner with keeper Barry Roche helpless.

Lee brought a full length save from Roche with another well struck effort and impressive sub Brian Woodall had a header cleared off the line as the Daggers pounded Morecambe with a strong finish.

It proved too little, too late. But the spirited way they threw themselves at the opposition was more like the old Daggers and if they maintain that momentum they will end the slump and move up the table.

That's the priority for Still, who said: "We are all working hard to come through this and get back to the pattern of play that has served us so well in recent years."

    Latest Match Reports