Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 28 Aug 11 at 21:03 PM

Points Shared

If ever a match justified the tag of "a game of two halves" it as this one, writes Jack Steggles.

After a slow start the Daggers caught fire in the first half. They totally dominated and should have gone in at half-time leading by more than the one goal Sam Williams' header gave them.

The players shocked boss John Still during the interval by claiming they were shattered. And a poor second half performance stood up that claim.

They allowed a Torquay team totally outplayed in the opening 45 minutes to take complete control. Daggers keeper Chris Lewington, no more than a spectator during that opening session, was in constant action and produced a string of superb saves to win the Man-of-the-Match award. And after his heroics it was a richly deserved accolade.

Torquay were lively in the opening few minutes before the Daggers made their presence felt. Williams had a shot blocked after a great run by Gavin Tomlin and a teasing cross from Danny J Green had keeper Bobby Olejnik struggling to deal with it.

Tomlin had a shot saved and was off target with two others as the Daggers turned the screw, looking for the breakthrough that finally came in the 25th minute from Williams. He sent a looping header over the keeper and into the far corner after Jon Nurse delivered a cross from the right.

The way the Daggers were playing at that stage it seemed more goals would follow. But they failed to make the most of the many chances that came their way and Torquay were grateful to go in for the break only one goal adrift.

It was a totally different story in the second session. The Daggers fell away alarmingly and rejuvenated Torquay completely ran the show.

Lewington kept the distraught Daggers in it with a magnificent display. Almost an hour had elapsed before he was called into serious action - but once his club needed him he responded in style.

He saved well from Ian Morris, the powerful Rene Howe and Damien McCrory produced a terrific block as the Daggers were penned into their own half. An equaliser was inevitable and it arrived in the 79th minute from the penalty spot.

Skipper Mark Arber clipped sub Billy Bodin's foot and although it appeared to have happened right on the line referee Darren Sheldrake pointed to the spot. Howe blasted home the spot shot to earn the visitors a point they fully deserved. In fact the way the second half had gone it could have been a lot worse for Still's me.

Still said afterwards, "I have no complaints at all about the result because a draw was about right. I was very surprised when the lads told me at half-time they were completely shattered, because we had not done anything different in the last week. We trained the same and went through a normal; procedure.

"You need nine or ten games to see how the season is developing and we have not been helped so far by a string of injuries. But I am happy with the points we have got so far and we have been playing well enough as well.

"The second half here was a disappointment. But we'll get over it and move on"

Att: 2012 (222 Torquay fans)

    Latest Match Reports