Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 06 Apr 11 at 12:27 PM

Daggers Undone By Early Ball Brace

Two goals down within 8 minutes proved too much of a mountain to climb for the Daggers against free-scoring promotion-hopefuls Peterborough United, writes Billy Taylor.

Former Dagger Craig Mackail-Smith had a hand in the opening goal, the Scotland International knocking the ball inside for David Ball who took a touch before firing into the bottom corner. It was the visitors first foray into the Daggers half and came just seconds after Oliver Lee came close for the hosts, the West Ham loanee taking a clever touch before unleashing a strike which edged just wide.

Four minutes later, it got worse for the home faithful. A cross from the left wasn't cleared and Ball was again on hand to slot past Tony Roberts, the veteran 'keeper making his 500th appearance for the Daggers.

John Akinde, in his first start for the Daggers since signing during January on-loan from Bristol City, fashioned a half-chance for himself before creating an opening for Lee whose intelligent footwork was followed up by a tame effort on goal which Joe Lewis collected.

John Still's side kept up the pressure but struggled to create clear-cut chances and at the other end the sharp movement of Peterborough's front men was given the Daggers backline plenty of food for thought, Mackail-Smith's pace and power creating openings for George Boyd on two occasions.

The home crowd were becoming aggravated, frustration mirrored by Jon Nurse as Danny Green opted to shoot from 25 yard instead of crossing into the box before Romain Vincelot's shot sailed high and wide after good play on the edge of the box by Akinde.

The Daggers needed an outstanding second-half to salvage anything from the game and they started in the ascendancy, Green's deep free-kick causing Lewis problems before Vincelot's scuffed header was gratefully collected by the Peterborough shot stopper.

At the other end Posh were nearly out of sight, Mackail-Smith getting goal-side of Scott Doe only to see his shot hit the side netting from 8 yards.

Seconds later however, Lee broke forward for the Daggers, his fantastic flick finding Damien McCrory in space but the left-back's touch let him down and Peterborough cleared their lines.

Darren Ferguson was forced into a switch with 10 minutes to go, Tom Kennedy coming off worse in a 50/50 challenge with Abu Ogogo, Grant Basey on in his place. There was movement on the Daggers bench also, Akinde off for Damien Scannell before Darren Currie replaced Green but neither substitute was able to make an impact and the referee blew and end to what was a frustrating night for the home side.

Tony Roberts has had far busier shifts than on this landmark occasion but in truth Joe Lewis left the field having had little to attend to himself.

The defeat - allied with a win for Bristol Rovers - sees the Daggers drop back into the drop zone ahead of Saturday's crucial visit of Notts County, the managerless Magpies just a point ahead of Still's men.

    Latest Match Reports