Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 26 Sep 10 at 10:37 AM

Another Draw at the Valley

The Daggers showed true grit in battling for a point after an early Charlton onslaught threatened to overwhelm them.

John Still's proud boast is that his players never give up, never know when they are beaten. And they proved that in style at The Valley.

They were rocking from the very first minute as Charlton came out of the traps like whirlwinds and launched a non-stop wave of attacks. The only surprise at that stage was that it took them all of ten minutes to take the lead.

The breakthrough came when defender Miguel Llera powered in a header from a Johnny Jackson corner, with the Daggers claiming keeper Tony Roberts had been fouled as the ball came over.

Before that Lee Martin had cut in from the right and lashed a left footer against the bar, Roberts had made a full length save from Scott Wagstaff and Danny Green had cleared a Simon Francis header off the line.

So the goal was no surprise and travelling Daggers fans were grateful it was not a lot worse at that stage. But the storm slowly blew itself out and the Daggers slowly started to make an impression.

Gavin Tomlin had a great chance to snatch an equaliser against the run of play when a through ball from skipper Mark Arber sent him clear. But he finished weakly with a shot straight at keeper Ross Worner.

Then a poor back header sent Tomlin in again. This time the keeper got there first and beat him to. But the equaliser came on the stroke of half time in storm of controversy when the Daggers were awarded a penalty after Therry Racon tangled with Bas Savage.

Green tucked the spot shot away and Charlton boss Phil Parkinson argued so furiously about it he was banished from the touchline and ordered to watch the second half from the director's box.

It was a totally different story in the second half, when the revitalised Daggers dominated and had enough chances to have won the game.

Two fell to Savage, who lacked the pace and sharpness to take advantage and Charlton owed a big debt to keeper Worner, who kept them in it with fine saves from Green, Tomlin and sub Jon Nurse.

All the Daggers good work seemed to have been wasted when Jackson restored Charlton's lead with a header from Racon's cross as the game entered injury time.

But the Daggers never say die spirit saw them hit back and snatch an equaliser when Nurse headed through a cross from Damien Scannell. He collided with a post as he threw himself in and had to be replaced for the closing seconds.

After the way the Daggers turned things round a draw was the very least they deserved and this performance gives them something to build on.

683 Daggers fans

    Latest Match Reports