Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 28 Aug 10 at 22:41 PM

Daggers denied first victory

Two late goals from a Tranmere team outplayed for most of the match deprived the Daggers of their first League One victory reports Jack Steggles reports from the London Borough of Barking & Dagenham.
John Still's men seemed home and dry when they led 2-0 with less than twenty minutes remaining..
Goals from Romain Vincelot and skipper Mark Arber put the Daggers in a commanding position and a welcome three points seemed in the bag. But Tranmere had other ideas and hit back to earn a draw with goals from Enoch Showunmi and a wonder strike from Aaron Cresswell.

John Still always demands a high tempo performance from his team. And he got what he wanted as the Daggers ripped into their Merseyside opposition. They were led by Paul Benson, who insisted he wanted to play despite being involved in transfer talks with Charlton 24 hours earlier.
It was one way traffic throughout a first half in which Daggers keeper Tony Roberts was little more than a spectator. Danny Green was first to create alarm in the visitors defence when he whipped in a cross that went across the face of the goal with no one able to get the vital touch.
Tranmere keeper Joe Collister produce a brilliant one handed diving save to keep out a 30 yard rocket from Green after Stuart Lewis dragged a shot outside the far post when the ball fell to him. Peter Gain was frustrated by a brave block as he let fly from close range and Benson, falling backwards, hooked an overhead shot over the bar.
Lewis put another effort wide and when Benson broke down the right and turned the ball back it was cut out before it could reach the onrushing Josh Scott. While all this was going on outclassed Tranmere threatened just once - a great tackle from Arber dispossessing Kayleden Brown in an isolated breakaway. The men from Merseyside were grateful to get to half time still in the match.

The pattern was the same after the interval, with Green slicing a left foot effort when a half clearance fell to him. Arber rescued the Daggers again with a great tackle on John Welsh before Vincelot eased jangling nerves by finally breaking the deadlock.
It was no more than the Daggers overwhelming superiority deserved when the midfield man rose in a packed goalmouth to power in a 52nd minute header from a deep left wing cross from Gain.
Within seconds keeper Collister prevented further damage for Tranmere with a superb save from an Arber volley. Then the inspiring skipper planted a header wide as he found space to meet a Green throw in. But Arber made it third time lucky in the 71st minute, cracking a first time left footer into the net when a Green corner came out to him.
That, we thought, was that. But once again the Daggers flair for putting their fans through the mill, came back to haunt them an enabled Tranmere to get back into a game in which they had been second best all afternoon.
Showunmi threw them a lifeline in the 78th minute with an angled effort that curled away from Roberts and finished in the net. And they salvaged an unlikely point with a goal worthy of winning any game.
It came jnust two minutes from time when Tranmere were awarded a free kick right on the edge of the penalty area out on the left.
Cresswell struck it with such stunning power Roberts had no chance and if the net had not been there to stop it the ball would have finished out in Pondfield Road.
So that first win in their exalted new surroundings was snatched away. But the Daggers can take plenty of positives from their performance and if they keep playing like this they will be okay.
Att: 2,256 (265 Tranmere)

    Latest Match Reports