Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 13 Nov 10 at 23:44 PM

Away Victory at Last

The Daggers finally ended their away days jinx as an inspired debut from Colchester loanee Medy Elito saw John Still's men claim a vital three points at Huish Park on Saturday, writes Ricky Butler.

Elito came off the bench early in the second half and made an instant impression by setting up a late goal for Abu Ogogo before then hitting the third himself, as the Daggers jumped above Yeovil in the bottom four.

With the hosts starting the day one place and three points above the Daggers in the drop zone it was a game Still's side could ill afford to lose and the starting XI showed no changes from the cup draw with Leyton Orient last week, meaning new loan signings Kayleden Brown and Elito started on the bench.

After a bright start from the Daggers it was Yeovil who soon began to get on top with Shaun MacDonald and Dean Bowditch both firing wide of Chris Lewington's goal in the opening ten minutes. However their best chance fell to Andrew Williams in the 14th minute when a slip by Damien McCrory gave him the opportunity to skip past Will Antwi, but he dragged his shot wide of the left hand up right with Lewington beaten.

The visitors then survived a scare two minutes later as Lewington saved from both Owain Tudor-Jones and MacDonald while Antwi then cleared another effort from Tudor-Jones off the goal-line.

But despite being under pressure at this stage it was Still's side who broke out to go in front in the 18th minute, only the second time they had scored first away from home all season. Danny Green whipped in a great corner from the left and centre half Antwi rose highest to power a header past home keeper John Sullivan from six yards, despite a valiant attempt from defender Nathan Jones to head it clear.

The goal seemed to settle the Daggers and they looked in control for the remainder of the first half. They came close to doubling their advantage seven minutes before the break when Victor Palsson tried his luck from fully 30 yards but the ball sailed harmlessly over the Sullivan's crossbar, while Green also went close from distance soon after.
But the Glovers drew level in the first minute of added time at the end of the first half. Tudor-Jones played the ball inside right back Ogogo and Andrew Williams strode forward before smashing the ball into the roof of the net from 12 yards.

It was the worst possible time to concede an equaliser but the Daggers regrouped during the interval and came out looking determined to make amends in the opening period of the second half, nearly regaining the lead nine minutes after the resumption with a free kick from Green on the left hand corner of the penalty area which brought a fine save from Sullivan.

Two minutes later Elito replaced Victor Palsson as Still switched to 4-2-2 in an effort to take the game to the hosts, but it was Yeovil who began to look far more dangerous and the Daggers' goal lived a somewhat charmed life over the next few minutes.

Another slip by McCrory let Tudor-Jones in down the left, and while Ogogo did well to deflect his dangerous looking cross away for a corner, the resulting set piece was met with a towering header from captain Peter Huntington that come back off the post.

It was opposing skipper Mark Arber who then came to the Daggers rescue three minutes later as he deflected a Sam Williams shot into the arms of Lewington after good work from Bowditch, while Williams then glanced a header narrowly wide following a corner from namesake Andrew.

With twenty minutes remaining Still made his second change, bringing on Gain for Jon Nurse and pushing Elito further forward, a move that would pay dividends nine minutes from time. Bas Savage laid the ball neatly into the path of the Colchester loanee and he showed great vision to pick out the overlapping run of Ogogo, who took the ball in his stride before drilling a shot under the body of Sullivan to put the Daggers within sight of that elusive first away win.

Their joy was very nearly short-lived when Sam Williams sent a header crashing against Lewington's crossbar in the very next attack, although Green then tested Sullivan at the other end with a powerful drive from out on the right.

But Still's side sealed what could prove to be a very important three points two minutes from time and inevitably it was Elito who got it. The speedy winger showed great pace and control to cut in from the left before hitting a shot across Sullivan into the far corner of the net to send the 125 travelling Daggers fans into ecstasy.

It may only be mid November, and Daggers are still four points from safety, but this first away win of the season could well prove to be the turning point in what has been a very difficult campaign for Still's young side up until now.

Attendance; 3,586 (125 away)

    Latest Match Reports