Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 31 Oct 10 at 15:40 PM

Daggers Denied at the Death

Following the Daggers these days should carry a government health warning, Writes Jack Steggles

Once again they put their fans through the mill by conceding a late, late goal, just seconds away from a badly needed victory.

Not for the first time this season three valuable points were there for the taking. Not for the first time the offer was refused.

But this time the Daggers can have no complaints about the late body blow that left them rooted at the wrong end of the table. They were under the cosh in the later stages and Hartlepool always threatened to get something from the game.

Yet it could have been a different story if the Daggers had made the most of two great chances that came their way in the opening six minutes. And where have we heard that before in this frustrating season?

With only a minute on the clock skipper Mark Arber put a free header from a corner over the bar after a great block had checked Damien Scannell. The Scannell failed to apply the finishing touch to a wonderful chance in front of goal. That miss would come back to haunt the Daggers.

With Solomon Taiwo prominent on his return to the club on loan from Cardiff the Daggers pushed forward looking for the breakthrough. Romain Vincelot and Gavin Tomlin had no joy with efforts, while Taiwo flashed a ball across the face of the goal, with no one up to apply the finishing touch.

Hartlepool's team of giants defended well against the onslaught and Daggers keeper Tony Roberts was seldom tested during the first half.

The goal the Daggers were desperate for arrived just four minutes into the second half when a cross from Phil Ifil was turned into his own net by Peter Hartley. Tomlin was near to adding a second after cutting in from the right and letting fly a shot that brought a fine save from Pool keeper Jake Kean.

After that all the threat came from the visitors, who got well on top in a bid to salvage something from a game that was slipping away from the Daggers.

Roberts saved well from Armann Bjornsson, Antony Sweeney dropped a header on to the roof of the net, Leon McSweeney flashed a hot just wide and Arber produced a fantastic block to keep another effort out.

Arber also put the ball against his own cross bar and Pool struck a post before they got the draw they deserved in the fifth minute of in jury time when a shot from Gary Liddle deflected off Walsh to leave keeper Roberts wrong footed.

There was barely time to kick off before the final whistle blew leaving boss John Still claiming his team had been naïve and lust learn to dig out 1-0 wins to give themselves a chance in League One.

    Latest Match Reports