Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 21 May 10 at 07:05 AM

Next Stop Wembley!

Dagenham and Redbridge did exactly what they had to do to book their place at Wembley.

Much of the hard work was done during the 6-0 success at the LBBD Stadium. Nevertheless John Still's team selection demonstrated his determination to see the tie through. The gaffer named exactly the same side that took part in the first leg.

And the Daggers started off with great composure with the expected early surge from Morecambe never really materialising.

In fact it was the visitors who had the early chances. Barry Roche in the Morecambe goal had to make early saves to deny both Jon Nurse and Romain Vincelot.

Still's side got even closer after just twelve minutes. Abu Ogogo smashed a left footed volley that left Roche rooted to his spot. Unfortunately for the full-back the ball ricocheted off the woodwork.

Tony Roberts first real test came from a Laurence Wilson free-kick that forced the Daggers goalkeeper to make a save at the near post. His defenders helped him out by charging down the follow up from Mark Duffy.

Vincelot thought he had a decent shout for a penalty when he looked like he was felled by a late challenge from Stewart Drummond. The Frenchman's appeals however fell on deaf ears.

Roche also made a superb save to deny the Daggers from taking the lead on the night. Paul Benson's deep cross was eventually stabbed towards goal by Scott Doe. The ball looked in, but for a brilliant instinctive stop from the Morecambe keeper.

Morecambe caught the Daggers on the counter-attack after Wilson broke clear. His cross eventually made its way to Duffy, who cut inside and hit a left footed effort that was beaten away by Roberts.

The home side looked more of a threat as the first half wore on. Ogogo blocked a Paul Mullin who later stabbed wide. Duffy meanwhile sliced another shot wide.

Dagenham continued to test the home keeper however. Roche beat away a shot from Josh Scott, whose pace and power took him away from the Shrimps defenders. Right at the end of the first period Roche had to tip over a powerful effort from Nurse.

Nurse had the second half's first effort,

 he wasn't able to direct his volley on target. Morecambe's leading scorer Phil Jevons then had his first chance of the evening but he was unable to convert an opportunity at the far post.

Darren Moss found the side netting after the Daggers found themselves in a rare moment where they were stretched.

The visiting fans started to enjoy themselves as the prospect of a Wembley visit got closer and closer.

The conga was captured by the television cameras as the party atmosphere started to kick in.

Morecambe were desperate to finish their final game at Christie Park on a high. They were unlucky not to break the deadlock after Jevons lobbed Roberts only to see the ball clip the bar.

Jevons whipped a fine cross that Mullin got a head to, the striker was a little unlucky to see the ball bounce wide.

Roberts clawed away a cross from Mullin that looked destined for Jevons' head.

At the other end a deep free-kick was volley just wide by Sunday's hero Josh Scott.

The Daggers thought they had a goal after a fine break away. Nurse slid in Vincelot who then crossed low for Benson to smash home at the far post. Yet while Benson was celebrating in front of the supporters, the referee's assistant signalled that the striker was in an offside position, although replays suggest otherwise.

The next goal did count. It came with a little under ten minutes remaining. Mullin's cross was inadvertently headed on Peter Gain. The ball reached Duffy who volleyed home at the far post to give the home supporters some consolation.

However despite the heavy aggregate advantage the Daggers roused themselves to force an equaliser. Green sent over a beautiful cross that allowed Benson to jump and head past Roche for a well deserved equaliser.

The home side still had time to give Christie Park the finale the Morecambe supporters would have wanted. Craig Stanley lifted a high ball that David Artell home into the bottom corner for the last ever goal at the ground.

Nevertheless it will be the Daggers first trip to the redeveloped Wembley Stadium. The last time the club played at Wembley was back in 1997 when as a Ryman League club they narrowly lost to Conference side Woking in the FA Trophy final. All Dagenham and Redbridge supporters will be hoping for a happier outcome next week against Rotherham United.

The scenes at the end of the game was a credit to football as both sets of supporters mixed on the pitch as Daggers fans celebrate the win and Morecambe fans saying goodbye to their Christie Park ground.

Att: 4,972

    Latest Match Reports