Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 03 Mar 10 at 14:45 PM

Daggers drawn at Torquay

The Daggers took a hard-won point from their first ever visit to Plainmoor, Torquay with a goalless draw on Tuesday evening.

They made just one change from the line-up that triumphed on Saturday, Jon Nurse who played the last 25 minutes of the win over Grimsby, retaining his place with Graeme Montgomery having to be satisfied with a place on the bench.

Teams: - Torquay: Bevan, Robertson, Branston, Ellis, Rowe-Turner, O'Kane, Wroe, Thompson, Mansell,Barnes, Zebrowski.

Dagenham & R: Roberts, Ogogo, Doe, Arber, McCrory; Green, Pack (Folly 86), Gain, Nurse (Thomas 88) Benson, Scott (Currie 74)

Subs (not used): Lewington, Vincelot, Montgomery, Uddin.

Referee: Steve Cook (Surrey).

Torquay made the first foray forward and Mark Arber and then Scott Doe were at full stretch to prevent Tyrone Thompson's left-wing cross reaching the dangerous Chris Zebrowski.

Nicky Wroe produced the best pass of the opening quarter to find Zebrowski, but Doe again slid in well again to concede another fruitless corner for the home side on 15 minutes.

A further Torquay corner went right across the goal to reach Lee Mansell, but the Gulls midfielder blazed a fierce shot wide on 21 minutes.

Daggers first effort on goal didn't come until the 28th minute, Damien McCrory picked up a Marlon Pack square ball to find Jon Nurse whose near post cross was flicked narrowly over the bar by Josh Scott.

A minute later Daggers almost broke the deadlock, a strong shot from Peter Gain forced home keeper Scott Bevan to his first save of the match, to tip the effort around his post.

There was a real let-off for Daggers just past the half-hour, when Tony Roberts looked to have made a hash of a clearance to McCrory and just when it looked as if Ashley Barnes might net the loose ball, referee Cook called the action back for a foul throw in the move leading up to the incident, much to the annoyance of the Plainmoor crowd and letting Daggers off the hook.

Half-time Torquay 0, Dagenham & R 0

Daggers broke out of defence three minutes into the second-half Josh Scott found Paul Benson who struck an effort from fully 30 yards that swerved wide of Bevan's post.

Arber made a hash of clearance spooning it up for Torquay's Eunan O'Kane who flashed his effort just wide.

Daggers responded and Nurse found Benson with a good ball down the line but as the striker cut dangerously along the by-line, home defender Chris Robertson got in a fine tackle to rob the Daggers' top scorer just as he was preparing to shoot.

Scott then won a good header that set up Benson, but he drove a good opening straight at Bevan. In the very next attack, a Danny Green cross saw Peter Gain flick a smart header just wide of the near upright.

McCrory became the Daggers' first booking for a hefty foul on O'Kane in 58 minutes.

Torquay were the first to make a change when Elliott Beynon replaced Tyrone Thompson.

The home side came closest to breaking the impasse when they hit the Daggers crossbar with a stinging shot from Mansell that left Roberts stranded, with 16 minutes left.

Daggers made their first substitution when Darren Currie replaced Josh Scott with 10 minutes to go before Zebrowski was rightly booked for bringing Ogogo down from behind.

Folly became the second Daggers substitute replacing Pack with just four minutes remaining and Wes Thomas became the third change, coming on for Nurse for the final two minutes.

As the game entered stoppage time, Tony Roberts produced a fine tip-away save from O'Kane's free-kick a minute into the overtime.

    Latest Match Reports