Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 10 Feb 10 at 11:08 AM

Le Fondre's double sinks Daggers

After a bitterly cold night in Sheffield the Daggers find themselves six points off the play-off's after their four successive defeat against Rotherham United.

The visitors made two changes to the starting line-up that took on Rotherham at the Don Valley Stadium, Sheffield on Tuesday night in the game re-arranged from late December.

Both Danny Green and Josh Scott were restored to John Still's line-up for the match against the side fifth in the table. Danny Spiller, not in the 16 man squad that lost to Northampton at Victoria Road last Saturday was on the bench while Graeme Montgomery was also restored to the substitutes.

Home side Rotherham also made two changes with Pablo Mills and Dale Tonge dropping out of the Millers line-up to be replaced by Mark Lynch and Kevin Ellison.

Daggers had the first effort on goal when Josh Scott won the ball and Paul Benson headed down for Jon Nurse to hit a rising effort over the bar.

Daggers continued to look dangerous and Green swung over a fine cross that an off-balance Benson headed well wide.

Gary Roberts had Rotherham's first real effort with a 20 yarder that cleared Tony Roberts' crossbar.

Rotherham took the lead in 11 minutes when the impressive Nicky Law ran into the Daggers area his intended pass was deflected across goal to Le Fondre who stabbed it into the bottom corner.

The goal pepped up the Millers and Le Fondre set up Gary Roberts whose strong shot was straight at his namesake Tony in the Daggers goal.

A corner was cleared out to Gary Roberts who blazed a fierce shot through a crowded area that forced namesake Tony to a fine save.

Then a high cross into the area saw Le Fondre get above the Daggers defence to head goalward and force Tony Roberts to a tip-over save as the visitors were subjected to huge pressure.

Daggers' night turned from bad to worse, when a low ball skidded past two visiting defenders and Mark Arber was forced to bring down Le Fondre, who stepped up to ram in Rotherham's second in 35 minutes.

Law completely left Marlon Pack for dead on the by-line and pulled it back for Kevin Ellison who fired a low shot inches wide of putting the South Yorkshire side three 41 minutes.

Home keeper Andy Warrington forced to his first action of the half in 43 minutes when Green returned a corner under the bar and the keeper opted to tip it over.

The Millers started the second-half on the attack and in the opening five minutes of the half, McCrory did very well to block an Ellison effort on the near post and centre-half Fenton missed a close-in effort from a couple of yards.

The Daggers best effort saw a Green throw knocked back into the path of Gain who drove just wide. But moments later Warrington was forced to his real save of the game, when Nurse hit a fierce shot that the keeper pushed away at full length.

A Nurse overhit cross hit the home crossbar as it went out of play and Benson was booked for a rash challenge on home defender Mark Lynch. The pressure was back in the Daggers goal when a quick free-kick saw Rotherham's Tom Pope through but he shot straight at Tony Roberts.

Rotherham: Warrington, Lynch, Fenton, Sharps, Gunning, Harrison, Law, Roberts (G) Ellison, Pope, Le Fondre. Substitutes: Lund, Joseph, Marshall, Broughton, Cummins, Taylor, Mills.

Dagenham & R: Roberts (A), Ogogo, Doe, Arber, McCrory, Green, Pack, Gain, Nurse (Montgomery 87), Benson, Scott (Walsh 70). Substitutes: Lewington, Thomas, Spiller, Currie, Vincelot (all not used)

Referee:Mr K Evans (Leigh, Gt Manchester).

Att: 2,604 (29 away)

    Latest Match Reports