Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 07 Apr 10 at 08:39 AM

Daggers continue play off push

Dagenham and Redbridge enjoyed their first home victory over Accrington Stanley as they maintained their push for a play off spot.

The Daggers had to recover from going a goal behind before striking three times. They should really have had more by the end of the ninety minutes but a mixture of indifferent finishing and some good goalkeeping prevented the home side from inflicting a heavy defeat on Accrington.

For a fixture that rarely produces goals it was perhaps a surprise that both teams conjured up a goal each in the first ten minutes.

It was Accrington who were first to strike, but before Robert Grant had given them the lead Sean McConville saw a speculative volley drift over.

McConville however was involved with Stanley's goal. He sprung the offside trap before playing the ball across goal allowing Grant to slide the ball into an empty net.

The Daggers responded immediately. Danny Green's low throw into the Accrington penalty area saw the ball fall to the feet of Paul Benson. Benson's first touch was excellent, allowing him to strike at goal, and that went beyond Ian Dunbavin to level things up.

After that frantic start the two sides somewhat cancelled each other out with little action in either penalty area.

The Daggers biggest concern was a couple of injuries to their central defenders. Mark Arber was able to solider on till the second half but Scott Doe was withdrawn midway through the first half with what looked like an injury to his lower back. Anwar Uddin came on to replace the young defender.

Doe's last piece of action was to survive Accrington's claim for a penalty. The visitors felt Doe had handballed after he went to close down a cross from Grant.

Accrington had a couple of attempts on goal that forced Tony Roberts into action. In truth the keeper had little difficulty in dealing with long range efforts from McConville and Billy Kee.

As the half time whistle approached the Daggers picked up their tempo and were rewarded with a second goal. Jon Nurse deserves a lot of the credit after winning the ball from Peter Murphy. He then set up Peter Gain with a perfect pass from which Gain finished clinically with his left foot.

The Daggers never really looked back. Benson swivelled and crossed where Nurse jumped highest, only to see his header claimed by Dunbavin.

They had an even better chance to extend their lead. Scott played Nurse clear on the left flank. Nurse repaid the favour by sending over a perfect cross from which Scott should really have done better than to head the ball over the bar.

Accrington served a warning that they weren't quite out of the game. Grant fired a free-kick that looked to be heading for the top corner. Roberts however launched himself and produced a strong right hand to jeep the ball out.

The Daggers survived that free-kick and went on to benefit from one of their own. Gain drew a foul thirty yards from goal. Green took it, and smashed a shot which was so powerful that Dunbavin could not stop the ball from travelling to the bottom corner.

Arber's injury finally got the better of him and he was withdrawn immediately after the goal. Still was forced to field an unfamiliar central defensive partnership of Uddin and Romain Vincelot.

Both replacements produced very assured performances though and they watched as Benson was thwarted from adding to Dagenham's lead. Marlon Pack threaded a fine ball through to Benson who was denied by Dunbavin's legs.

Nurse and Green then combined wonderfully for the former to power his way into the area. Whilst he beat the Accrington defenders to the ball, Nurse was unable to get his shot on target.

The Daggers continued to pour forward as Scott skipped past Phil Edwards. Dunbavin spread himself to deny the forward. The visiting keeper had barely enough time to pick himself up after that before Green was sending another ferocious shot that this time flew just over the bar.

Nurse had another half volley that was gathered, eventually, by the Accrington keeper. Dunbavin had a further save to make to deny Green, who shot straight at the keeper after being set up by Benson.

The visitors did have one last chance to force a tense finale. Grant floated a header that was clawed in mid air by Roberts.

Both Benson and Scott had other opportunities to increase their own season tallies but time again they were both denied. It didn't really matter though, the Daggers got the result they needed, and it promises to be a very interesting end to the season.

Att: 2,031 (66 away fans)

    Latest Match Reports