Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 01 Mar 10 at 06:56 AM

Daggers 2 Grimsby 0

Dagenham and Redbridge built on the momentum created after the dramatic victory at Aldershot by securing another win, this time at the expense of relegation threatened Grimsby Town.

They had to wait until the second half to get the goals to secure the points. Josh Scott and Danny Green were on hand as the Daggers kept in touch with their fellow play-off challengers.

The Daggers made a decent start to the game although they did have to survive a scare in the opening couple of minutes. A Grimsby attack saw the ball get stuck inside the home penalty area but the Daggers defence reacted well enough to crowd Tommy Wright out

The home side spent the majority of the first period inside the Grimsby half. But whilst they forced several corners they didn't really test Mark Oxley on too many occasions.

The recalled Graeme Montgomery had a fair amount of joy on the left flank. One of his many crosses fell to the feet of Marlon Pack. The on loan midfielder cracked a first time volley that forced Oxley to push the ball away.

There might have been a claim for handball after a high Abu Ogogo cross looked to have been handled by Peter Bore. The referee didn't agree however. Scott meanwhile was unable force the ball over the Grimsby goal-line after Danny Green had hurled a throw into the area.

The visitors mustered their first serious threat on the half hour mark. Peter Sweeney swung over a free-kick that saw Lee Peacock glance a header towards goal. Fortunately for the Daggers it bounced a yard wide with Green guarding the post.

That incident saw Scott Doe leave the field temporarily with a head injury. The Mariners tried to take advantage of but Sweeney drilled an effort narrowly wide.

Doe returned and saw both Damien McCory and Peter Gain conjure shots that didn't trouble Oxley. The Grimsby keeper also fielded an effort from Scott, who swivelled and shot but the forward didn't get much purchase on his effort.

Paul Benson meanwhile ended the half with a similar head injury to Doe. Both players came out for the second half with identical head bandages.

But before the first half came to an end, the visitors created the clearest opportunity of the game thus far. Wright robbed Mark Arber off the ball before crossing for Peacock. The Grimsby skipper however powered his effort over Tony Roberts and over the crossbar.

Whilst there was perhaps a little shortage of quality in the opening half there was plenty of it on view for Dagenham's opening goal. McCrory found Montgomery with a super pass; Montgomery in turn produced an inch perfect cross that allowed Scott to head his third goal in three games.

By and large the Daggers looked comfortable from then on as Grimsby lost some of the competitiveness they displayed in the first 45 minutes.

Montgomery played a nicely disguised pass to Scott who skipped into the area. The ball made its way back to Pack whose shot was blocked, while Gain placed the follow up just past the post.

Oxley saved low from Scott before Yoann Folly was given his first piece of action in a Dagenham and Redbridge shirt as he came on for Montgomery.

Ogogo was the next contender to get on the score sheet. First he helped a Scott cross over the bar before striking a long range volley well, but with the same result.

Whilst the Daggers were unable to get their second Grimsby still had hope of securing a point. Oliver Lancashire saw his header loop over while perhaps the closest they came to an equaliser was through sub Jean-Louis Akpa Akpo whose shot was deflected wide of goal.

The home supporters had to wait to near the end to see their side secure the points. It came from another fine finish, this time from Green who drove at his full back before finding the bottom corner of Oxley's goal with a well struck right footed shot.

Att: 2,190 (306 Grimsby)

    Latest Match Reports