Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 25 Jan 10 at 15:21 PM

Daggers Defeated at the Prostar

Daggers had a new face on the bench for their fourth visit to Shrewsbury's Prostar Stadium with French full-back Romain Vincelot, signed on Thursday, included for the first time, Vincelot, 24, who has played for French side Guengnon in his country's Championship National, has joined the Daggers on an 18 month deal.

The two-year-old Prostar Stadium hasn't been a happy hunting ground for Daggers since it opened. They lost 4-0 on their first visit two seasons ago and 2-1, in the last minute, last campaign as well as suffering a 5-0 Johnstone Paints Trophy defeat here last season. Daggers did take a measure of revenge very early this season when they hammered the Shrews 5-0 in the second home game of this season.

Six minutes into the game Daggers took the lead, Peter Gain put in a solid tackle that won the ball for Danny Green who slipped Paul BENSON through and he arrowed a fine cross-shot beyond former Daggers loanee Dave Button in the home goal for his fifth goal against the Shrews this season.

But it proved a false dawn and in the 13th minute Shrewsbury levelled when they got away down the right through Lewis Neal and a low cross saw home top scorer Dave Hibbert elude Abu Ogogo's tackle to jab his effort wide ofTony Roberts into the far corner.

Skipper Mark Arber opted to head clear rather than allow a ball to run through to Roberts and home midfielder Terry Dunfield switched it out to Kevin McIntyre who fired his shot just wide shortly afterwards.

Shrewsbury were really buoyed by the goal and new loan signing Joe Skarz tried his luck from fully 30 yards and was just over with a well struck effort. The home side made an early change when defender Dean Holden was replaced by youngster Danny Taylor.

Good link-up between Danny Spiller and Ogogo saw the full-back outstrip Skarz and get over a cross, but Langmead managed to smuggle it back to keeper Button under pressure from Benson. Ogogo received a yellow card for flooring Craig Disley with an aerial challenge on the half-hour. Disley was obviously badly hurt in the incident and had to be stretchered off suffering from concussion to be replaced by Steve Leslie, prompting a lengthy delay.

A long ball out of Shrewsbury's defence saw Scott Doe miss a header. The ball fell to Shrews' leading scorer Hibbert, but he lofted his effort over the Daggers goal. Good Daggers build-up involving Benson and Gain saw Green set up with a shooting chance, but Skarz got in a fine block as half-time approached.

The serious-looking injury to Disley meant six minutes of stoppage time and resulted in Ogogo being booed every time he touched the ball after the incident. In the first of these, Leslie fired across the face of goal and Day managed to touch it behind as the Shrews applied the pressure late in the half. Marlon Pack then made a terrible hash of a clearing header, inadvently heading back towards his own goal instead of clearing and substitute Leslie crashed the loose ball past Roberts two minutes into the injury time period to put the home side ahead.

Four minutes into the second-half Day and Roberts got in tangle over a clearance and conceded a corner from which McIntyre put his effort wide. From a Green corner, Gain returned the ball to the area where Benson got up well but there was no power behind the header that was straight at Button in Daggers' best early response.

Shrewsbury continued to be the more impressive side and Hibbert shot inches wide and Leslie blazed over as they came close to a third. Daggers broke out and Gain and Pack switched passes before Gain flashed a shot across the face of the Shrews' goal before the home side's McIntyre got the better of Green and set up Robinson for a strong shot that Roberts parried well and saved at the second attempt.

A long ball from Doe saw Benson chest down well for Scott, but Langmead managed to get a block for a corner that ended with Gain blazing goalward again for Button to touch behind. A mix-up between the two Dannys -Green and Spiller - saw the second corner wasted. Daggers were struck another major blow when Scott Doe was sent off for alleged use of an elbow on Dunfield as Hibbert fired goalward in 70 minutes.

Romain Vincelot was called on for his Daggers debut to replace Josh Scott and eight minutes later Wes Thomas replaced Green with 11 minutes left, as Daggers tried to salvage something from the game. Daggers introduced Darren Currie for Spiller with six minutes left, but he had little time to influence the game.

Two minutes from time the impressive Vincelot got in a brave header across goal that set up another shooting chance for Gain through a crowd of players, but Button saved on his line.

So the Prostar Stadium Shrewsbury, continues to be a very unhappy hunting ground for Daggers - four visits - four defeats!

Att: 4812 (110 away)

    Latest Match Reports