Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 14 Dec 09 at 07:08 AM

Back to winning ways

Dagenham and Redbridge secured a very welcome victory over Bury at the L.B.B.D Stadium; their first success in four matches. Paul Benson, in what was also a welcome return to goal scoring form, scored twice and a late strike from Nana Ofori-Twumasi ensured a 3-1 success.

The Daggers first goal, after 18 minutes, was really the first goalmouth action of the afternoon. It came out of nothing, Nana Ofori-Twumasi forced in a cross that Bury failed to deal with. With the ball bouncing in and around the six yard area, Paul Benson was on hand to force the ball into the bottom corner.

The home side looked pretty comfortable at that stage. Their offside trap was working very well, constantly frustrating the Bury attack.

Darren Currie clipped over a cross not long after the goal. The ball flew across the Bury goal, and it reached Jon Nurse who fired a volley that was blocked by a defender.

Currie provided yet another cross that Benson tried to sneak into the near post with a volley. Visitng keeper Wayne Brown was alert enough the tip the ball round his post.

The Daggers did have the ball in the Bury net for a second time. Mark Arber's looping header found its way into the back of the net after Nurse had challenged Brown for the high ball. An offside flag cut short Dagenham's celebrations.

A subdued Bury however finally come to life in the final five minutes as they finally showed some signs of the form that has seen them lose just once in the last thirteen matches.

Tony Roberts made his first save on forty minutes, fielding a low effort Danny Nardiello who then proceeded to screw a much easier chance wide from just six yards, after the loan player had linked up with Andy Morrell.

The Daggers then keeper made a brilliant stop to tip round a shot from midfielder Danny Ricchi.

That looked to have ensured the home side's lead by the half time break. However the visitors had other ideas and levelled things up in added time. Nardiello sneaked in at the near post to head home a corner past Roberts.

John Still's team talk looked to have had the desired effect Scott Doe headed Danny Green's corner into the corner of the Bury goal. However the Daggers were to be frustrated yet again as the referee spotted a foul in the melee and disallowed the goal.

Benson attempted to take advantage of a bit of indecision in the visitors back four as he struck into the side-netting before the game really opened just after the hour mark.

Bury looked dangerous with their set-pieces and from one corner Nardiello planted a header over Roberts but off the crossbar.

Josh Scott came on from the substitutes bench and his power and pace caused a different problem for the Bury centre backs. The sub looked hungry from the start and he held off Efe Sodje, crossed for Benson, whose stretching effort rebounded off the post!

Scott also had a header that flew wide of Brown's goal.

It was Bury's turn to go on the attack and a misjudgement from Doe allowed Morrell to get in behind the defence. It was probably Doe's only error of the afternoon but it allowed the veteran forward to lift the ball over Roberts but also just over the bar.

With twelve minutes remaining the Daggers did get a second goal, and this time they were not denied by the officials.

Peter Gain retrieved the ball from a corner and played it back into the Bury area. It was Scott who got the first effort in and when that was blocked, Benson demonstrated that he was back to his predatory best by stabbing the Daggers ahead for a second time.

They had to survive one scare before securing the three points. Two substitutes in the form of Michael Jones and Ryan Lowe combine only for the latter to fire wide.

The final say of the afternoon though went to the Daggers. It was Ofori-Twumasi who powered his way into the penalty area before producing a fine finish to end a very good afternoon for the Daggers.

Att: 1,915 (232 Bury)

    Latest Match Reports