Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 06 Dec 09 at 12:03 PM

A point in Grimsby

Unwell Daggers boss John Still missed his side's trip to Blundell Park, Grimsby, while it was a return to the club he served for overfive seasons for first-team coach Wayne Burnett, who twice went to Wembley successfully with the Mariners.

Daggers kept faith with the side so heavily beaten at home by Aldershot last Tuesday, with the returning Scott Doe having to be content with a place on the bench.

Adam Miller hit a fine crossfield pass for Darren Currie, but his strong drive goalward was blocked by Bore in the opening attack.

Peter Gain lost possession and made it a present for Grimsby's Leary but he pulled his shot poorly wide. Akpro and Proudlock set up Coulson with a clear early opening for the home side, but the midfielder's touch was poor and the chance was lost as the lowly Mariners made a strong start.

A fee-kick saw Green slip and Grimsby's full-back McCrory burst 60 yards, Ofori-Twumarsi half cleared but it went back to McCrory who drove it had and low and produced a good save from Roberts.

Miller found Green with another sweeping pass as Daggers responded, the winger crossed to the back post where Bore just got above Benson and keeper Colgan gratefully dropped on the ball in 32 minutes.

Grimsby took the lead two minutes later with their first goal in five games, when Featherstone crossed to the back post, Coulson got the better of Green to get around him and crashed an unstoppable effort high into the net.

A Green corner picked out an unmarked Antwi in a Daggers response, but his header was straight at Colgan.

A free-kick awarded for a foul by Miller in 39 minutes saw Sweeney clip a fine free-kick over the defensive wall that beat Roberts and crashed against the post with the keeper helpless as Daggers were mightily lucky to turn around only one in arrears.

Good work by Miller saw him find Benson, the ball rebounded back to Miller who blazed over from eight yards Daggers' best chance of the half.

HT Grimsby 1, Dag & Red 0

Daggers conceded a fee-kick in the opening moments of the second-half when Antwi seemed harshly adjudged to have fouled Featherstone, when he appeared to win the ball. Sweeney curled this effort just wide of the post.

In the next move Daggers' Nurse got away down the right and put over a good cross that Benson lifted against the bar from close in, with Colgan beaten.

Green became Daggers' first booking for a heavy challenge on Leary on the by-line, but moments later Daggers were level in 58 minutes,Jon NURSE netting with a flicked header in from Green's cross that that sailed in over Colgan for the equaliser a little against the run of play.

Grimsby substitute North then sprinted past Jamie Day and crossed and Daggers had a let-off as Arber miscued his cleareance beyond his own post.

North continued to be a menace and a low cross over the Daggers goalmouth narrowly missed the far upright.

Coulson picked up a loose clearance from Antwi and blazed a powerful 25 yarder just wide as he looked for his second goal of the game.

Daggers responded when Arber won a header in the area it fell to Currie who hit a full blooded volley that was just a couple of yards wide.

Scott Doe replaced Antwi who had injured himself in stretching to concede a corner.

Currie found Gain as he burst around the area, but he slipped his shot wide of the post.

Sweeney was booked for pulling down Nurse as he threatened to run clear two minutes from the end.

Daggers just about preserved their record of having never lost to Grimsby, with this point - their fifth away draw of the season.

Att: 3,039 (95 D&R).

    Latest Match Reports